Dry dropper rig

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I hear/read varying opinions on the length of your dropper from the dry. I've heard of everything from just inches to 1.5'. I've also heard it should be relative to the water depth, which changes often as you negotiate the stream.

It's been my experience that if I have the dropper too short, I'll foul hook some fish because of a late hook set on the dry. So, I generally try to keep the length at about 1.5'. At that length I almost never foul hook. What dropper length do you generally go with?

I’d say I average 12” for small stream fishing, which is where I do it most. For bigger water you’d likely need to go deeper.

I have been messing around with several rigging options my last few times on the water. Depending on flow conditions I think that tying your dry to a few inches of a tag and dropping around a foot for your dropper seems to be ideal to me. The only thing I don't like is that if you change your dry a few times you run out of tag. You always have the option to tie off the hook bend among other methods too.

Specific to your question, I seem to settle in on 8- 12 in. for my dropper. For me any longer leads to more tangles when dealing with flopping fish, snagging your dry etc. There are times when I can see the benefit of a longer dropper though.

Video below of a central PA guide on what appears to be a private section of Spruce creek.

Mark Antolosky Dry Dropper Lesson

For myself I prefer the dry on a tag. This does introduce more potential to tangle but I think it performs better if you expect to take a decent percentage on the dry.

Anywhere from 10" to a couple feet depending on what I am trying to accomplish.

I have used different variations depending on the situation:

1. On small streams or limestone creeks I will use a long dropper if I dont see any surface action or fish coming off the bottom. This could be 3-4 feet if needed. The goal is to hit bottom like traditional nymph rig but the dry fly is stealthier than an indicator.

2. On weed clogged limestone creeks I will shorten up the dropper slightly to get as deep as I can without snagging the vegetation. Still trying to reach those bottom feeding trout but more of a compromise that comes with that type of chess match fishing. (Any better ideas welcome here).

3. On rivers with boulders/pocket water and lots of different current seams I will usually go with something bushy to make sure it keeps floating followed by an 18-24" dropper. I think this allows me to cast farther than a heavy nymph rig. Usually these are quick hits in each pocket so normal indicator rig gets washed away unless your high sticking right on top of the spot. Having the shorter dropper allows u to see strikes because the dry stays relatively close to the bottom fly in the same current seam. These rigs cast far for working the far bank or mid river.

4. If fish are only sporadically rising or jumping out of the water eating emergers, I will do a short dropper 6"- 18" to try to get fish just under the surface. This also works with microscopic dry flies that I cant see to keep track of them.

Back