DIY bucktail

1manwolfpack

Can anyone give me some advise on prepairing bucktail? Any tips from removal techniques to dying would be appreciated. This will be my first time not picking one off the rack. Thanks

I did one last year.

Bone it out from the under side. Nail it to a board with the cut side up. Use small finish nail to tack it in place. Then use Borax to dry it.

I just did one from a buck that I killed last Saturday. Deboned it Sunday evening when I got home. Make sure that you scrape all of the fat off the hide (usually near the top part of the tail). I don't even waste time nailing it to the board, I just spread it out and liberally apply borax to the whole hide area. It is just about cured as it only takes a couple of days with borax. I've never messed around with dying them yet but that is next on my list of things to learn. Curing them is really a very simple process.

Attachments

• Bucktail .JPG
    Bucktail .JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 4
I would recommend cleaning thoroughly with dish soap and drying with a hair dryer prior to applying any borax or salt. Deer tails can be pretty nasty, cleaning them will make tying with the tail a lot more pleasant.

PennKev wrote:
I would recommend cleaning thoroughly with dish soap and drying with a hair dryer prior to applying any borax or salt. Deer tails can be pretty nasty, cleaning them will make tying with the tail a lot more pleasant.

I absolutely agree with you. The photo I posted above of the curing bucktail was pretty hogged up. I always make it a habit of cleaning every one of them, however, I don't get hung up on whether that is before or after they are cured. I generally debone my bucktails directly after the hide hits the ground, when I'm standing there with a knife in my hand. I deboned this one the day after because it was a last day of the hunt (out of state) kill and I was more concerned about getting the meat deboned, cooled and processed for the trip home the following day. I feel the tails debone a lot easier when fresh. not to mention the fact, that if I leave one lay around for too many days my gag reflex gets into full motion when trying to debone it. They clean up very nice either before or after, it really doesn't matter to me. I just cleaned the previously posted tail today (post curing).

Attachments

• Cleaned Bucktail.JPG
    Cleaned Bucktail.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 2
I have had some in the freezer for quite awhile which I always meant to clean and borax but haven't got to yet.
hope that won't be a problem.

I've never tried dying them. Heard kool aid works but don't know how good. I always use more of the white so I cut them down the dark side clean very well like suggested and heavily salt. Usually let the salt stay on all winter long or till I use it.

I have a few tails cured and ready for cleaning and dying. I've seen a few guys do it in videos online, but would be open to hearing how anyone here has finished them and with what dye.

Kook aid, vinegar and water. Mix, add buck tail, feather etc. heat in microwave until solution is clear. Just as good as any other dye, is cheap and highly customizeable. Google: dyeing wool with kool aid. and yes I know wool is not the same as buck tail, but it works very well.

Tip: wash the product you wish to dye very well, with dawn or soda ash. The product needs to be as grease free as possible.

Pro tip: this can smell pretty bad, as much from the heated vinegar as the cooking deer hide. If you are married, do this in the house microwave at your own risk.

Back