Custom Rod Tubes

C

CAMBYSES

Hello all,

I went out to Home Depot today on a mission. I have been looking all over the internet in hopes of finding nice rod tubes for 3 of my fly rods. a 6'6", 8' and a 9'. After getting angry about the prices of these things I went out and bought 20' of 2" PVC a few end caps. ( the threaded male kind) and some nice hunter green textured spray paint.
I then bought some flannel sheeting from A.C. Moore to use as the rod socks. after some planning, cursing, and a beer or two the project was finished. I ended up paying under $30 for all three rod tubes and I am more than happy with the final result. I will post pics soon.

Bob

The best part about those (I have made at least two) is that if you happen to run it over with the car, they are flexible but still protective. If you run your nice aluminum rod tube, with rod inside, they will crush and you will never be able to remove the rod without a lot of very difficult cutting of the entire length of the tube.

I've also made my own rod tubes, but I found central vacuum tubing and end caps at the plumbing supply store. I'm not sure that Home Depot will have it. Its much lighter than PVC, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run over it!

I looked at HD for the Central Vac tubes, but I couldnt find them. I read a DIY article online about making rod tubes and the gentleman writing the article swore by the vac tubes.

Hopefully I will never find out if my rod tubes will hold up against my car :-D

A good plumbing supply store should have it. Try one of the local suppliers that plumbers buy their supplies at. Home Depot is a great store, but doesn't have everything. Its like shopping for fly fishing supplies at Walmart versus your local fly shop.

Ill have to give that a shot, I havce a Weinsteins supply store right around the corner.

Thanks

Bob

CAMBYSES wrote:
Hello all,

I went out to Home Depot today on a mission. I have been looking all over the internet in hopes of finding nice rod tubes for 3 of my fly rods. a 6'6", 8' and a 9'. After getting angry about the prices of these things I went out and bought 20' of 2" PVC a few end caps. ( the threaded male kind) and some nice hunter green textured spray paint.
I then bought some flannel sheeting from A.C. Moore to use as the rod socks. after some planning, cursing, and a beer or two the project was finished. I ended up paying under $30 for all three rod tubes and I am more than happy with the final result. I will post pics soon.

Bob

Here's a tip you might want to add if not too hard to do. Not sure if you used the solid end cap on the one end. But get some sponge rubber or foam and glue it to the end caps on both ends. That will protect the rod ends from hitting the hard ends. This is only if you cut the tubes longer than needed since this will take inches away from the inside of tube.

Back