Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Curly Q Indicator

From State College
Does anybody have any experience with french nymphing and the curly Q indicator? When you get a take, does the sighter stretch out completely?

Posted on: 2013/3/19 13:26

Re: Curly Q Indicator

From Jefferson Twp
It can, depending on how hard the take was, but you're also looking for what you perceive to be an abnormal stretch. It's no different than using a strike indicator.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 9:14

From Shrewsbury, PA
Agree with Trout-Stalker. Sometimes you will only see a slight movement on the curlies next to the tippet. To be honest, I've never had a strike where the enire Curly-Q straighten out.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 8:32

From Portage, PA
I am more of a fan of just a bright section of mono in your leader. The curly q gets annoying to keep set up correctly. I think the plain bright mono is easier to detect a strike.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:08

From pittsburgh
you have to really study it when your fly gets a take or anyhting interferes with it the indicator will stretch out slowly i would feel it was too late if it were completely stretched out or snagged everything about fishing that way dead upstream curly q micro nymphs no weight is deadly but yet its delecate talk to heritage angler he will clue you in on it he's the one that had me doing it ( catching carp in spring creek)

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:29

-me

From State College
I was wondering if you only put two or three loops in it, if it would make it more sensitive, I feel like I dont need 17 loops riding on the surface.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 12:32

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:
I am more of a fan of just a bright section of mono in your leader. The curly q gets annoying to keep set up correctly. I think the plain bright mono is easier to detect a strike.

Two different sighters/indicators for two different applications.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 13:12

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

mario66pens wrote:
I was wondering if you only put two or three loops in it, if it would make it more sensitive, I feel like I dont need 17 loops riding on the surface.

In my experience you see the strike by means of all the coils. They all just start spreading apart. I would imagine that this movement would be harder to see with less coils.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 13:13

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com