Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Cork filler
From Chester County
I have an older fly rod that needs some work on the cork. The cork has some voids in it that need filling. I once tried plastic wood as a filler and sanded it down – it didn’t work very well. I’ve read that some use cork shavings/dust and mix it with white wood glue. Has anyone tired this, or any other method that worked?

Posted on: 2007/8/2 8:24

Re: Cork filler
From Altoona, PA
I once used cork filings and 30 minute epoxy. I didn't have too much to build up, but it worked well.

The only tips I can give you are: file up a whole lot more cork dust than you think you'll need. You won't have time to file more. Use 30 minute epoxy, not 10. You'll want the extra set time. The epoxy gets very thick with all the cork dust. So it sets faster than 30 minutes.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 8:41

From Monessen, PA
I have used the cork shavings/dust and wood glue technique with good results. They sell a tan/yellowish wood glue that will dry closer to your cork color, but if you do it right, you really aren't wanting to see a lot of glue. The glue should be just enough to make the cork shavings into a paste. I would even consider squishing out most of the liquid after mixing thoroughly then filling the cracks and holes.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 9:05

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I've used wood filler to fill the voids in cork with good success. I just fill it with excess, let it dry and harden then sand it down. The color is close, not perfect, but it's better than having the voids. If you're concerned about asthetics of the rod, you could always consider having the cork replaced. Just my two cents

Posted on: 2007/8/2 11:54

From Greensburg, PA
I've done the cork shaving/dust and wood glue with success. You can even sand it when you;'re done.

Posted on: 2007/8/2 14:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com