Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Brook Trout Tactics(next level)

I love that crash-through-the-jagger-bushes tip. It's the kind of thing you won't learn at an Orvis fly fishing course.

BTW, how far beyond Lancaster County does the term "jaggers" extend?

They're not thorns, they're not briars, they're "jaggers."

Posted on: 2009/12/28 23:55

From Pine Grove
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
BTW, how far beyond Lancaster County does the term "jaggers" extend?

They're not thorns, they're not briars, they're "jaggers."

It's what they are called in the Skook and upper Dauphin as far as I know. I'd like to know what the correct term for boogalice (sp) is. That is the colloquialism around here for those little brown burrs that stick on your clothes and won't come off.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/12/29 7:14

From Chester County
"Jaggers" are only found in Yinzer country, no where else.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 7:51

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Boyer,

In Yinzer country, jaggers are one and the same as thorns. Burrs are called burrs, I think.

A million different types of brushy stream out there. If I'm fishin a stream with a lot of jaggers, I wear my small game gear. I lower my head through the stuff, and have a full brimmed hat that repels them, but I still get my face and ears cut up somehow. Hands too.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 8:02

From Pine Grove
I never heard the word yinz until I was 17 or so, but they've always been jaggers here. I did a little research and what they call boogalice(boogie-lice on Wikipedia) here are actually burdock.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/12/29 8:09

From Gettysburg
As many of you already know, the camo outfit depicted in Afish's photo of "Salontheprowl" is known as a "ghillie suit." They were popularized some years ago by military sniper units in need of extreme camoflouge. Like many military clothing and outdoor gear, it gradually becomes trendy with civilain outdoor enthusiasts. Personally, I don't see hardly any civilian hunting scenario that would realistically require this level of camo. Just another fad.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 9:15

From Chester County
Dave,

I can see you wearing a ghillie suit to sidle up real close to those brookies hiding in BS. Just see if you can find a watercress pattern and stay low....they won't stand a chance!

Posted on: 2009/12/29 9:36

From Bozeman
I grew up calling em "pickers"

Posted on: 2009/12/29 9:51

From Chester County
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I grew up calling em "pickers"

Me too....picker bushes. I've also heard them called "stickers".

Posted on: 2009/12/29 9:53

From Pine Grove
I have buddy who lives on an island off the coast of Alaska who will custom make ghillie suits if you send him a picture of the local foliage and a few leaves. He makes them for the island and sells them to bird watchers, as well as for personal use hunting reindeer on the tundra. The only snag is that shipping from BFA is a tad 'spensive.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/12/29 9:56

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Many ghillie suits are to be customized as you move. Basically a mesh with a lot of safety pins, you pick the local plant life and attach it. Often there's strips of canvas and fabric to attach in various colors (customizable). Usually some combination of the 2 extremes.

Be the bush. hehe.

Fishidiot, in any hunting situation, the better the camo, the better off you are. Now, what you're willing to pay (money and hassle) is another story altogether. I don't imagine those things are comfortable, and to me, hunting is supposed to be fun.

What I don't get is why so many retail camo patterns have UV brighteners to make it look "sharper", when many of the prey animals see in the UV range. Might honestly be better off in street clothes.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:07

Nothing like having a freezing cold face from sled riding for 2 hours and then ending one of runs into a jaggerbush. Feels sooo good on your face.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 15:50

Since I started using a Cabela's leafy suit a few years ago I am convinced they make a difference for deer and turkey by distorting your silouette. I'd have to think they could help on stream as well. Problem is it's made of a burlap (sp) iand I wouldn't even consider trying to go through brush with it. Maybe packing it in though.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 20:26

I think the idea of having a special hat and treating it so you can crash through the brush is very cool. I'm not sure I'll do it, but I'm glad some fisherman thought of that. Maybe this where the term "Jagermeister" came from, Master of the Jaggers!

Once I was fishing with a friend who had probably the most over-stuffed big green Orvis vest I've ever seen. We came to some "jagger bushes" and he reached in the vest and pulled out a pair of shears like you use for trimming shrubbery, and started clearing the path.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 9:52

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Can you imagine seeing Sal crashing through the bush along a brookie stream wearing one of these with his Orvis rod in hand!

Ha! ha!

The walking snag...

Posted on: 2009/12/31 11:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com