Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Beginners- what were'nt you told?

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Hmm, well...

I started fishing when I was just a tod. But until I was about 20, I was a spinning rod/bait fisherman. As far as fly fishing, I'm mostly self taught from that. But being somewhat experienced on the trout streams, I had no trouble with reading water, tying knots, etc. It was the flyfishing specific stuff I had to learn.

A few lessons I've learned since I started with the fly rod.

1. Broaden your horizons. You'll find more patterns that way. There are no universal truths, but there are semi-universal trends that will help. Forget stream names, but learn the trends as they pertain to temperature, specific hatches, water current, depth, fishing pressure, etc. Don't get into the rut of always going to the same place or even the same type of water at different places, or you'll be lost when you do go somewhere new.

2. Every fishermen focuses on where to be. But WHEN and HOW, and the interaction between those two questions, is even more important. Fish are creatures of habit, and while they're dumb, they are conditioned to look for a specific thing in a specific place at a specific time. The smart fisherman uses that instead of trying to convince the fish to change its ways.

3. There are exceptions to #2. For instance, all rainbows like eggs, at any time of year. Freshly stocked fish have not established habits yet. Big fish will have a strong "when" habit, but not so much the what and where, they're more opportunistic and looking for the big meal.

4. Learn the various vegetations and their propensity to grab flies. Some plants are magnets for flies, others can be somewhat ignored when casting.

5. Drag is the #1 factor to presentation. Learn why it happens, how to control it, when to avoid it and when to use it, etc.

6. When nymphing, fish deep and slow. If you're not occasionally losing flies to the bottom, add weight until you do.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 11:43

From Chester County
Pcray wrote: "4. Learn the various vegetations and their propensity to grab flies. Some plants are magnets for flies, others can be somewhat ignored when casting."

I read this over 10 times and cannot figure it out. Can you explain?

Posted on: 2009/1/22 11:52

From florida
Here are a few pirated from The Hollywood Fly Angler( what ever that is)and from the Fly fisherman site. When drowning the type and brand of waders one wears is is largely inconsequential. Using a San Juan worm instead of an egg pattern is not considered "matching the hatch". There is no such thing as the perfect 5 wt. My own: in certain situations,you can "walk on water" felt soles will slip and slide when least expected ;fall fish like prince nymphs just as well as trout do.No one can own enough fly rods and matching reels.Floating fly lines don't, at least when you need them to.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 12:48

Afish,

For example: A hemlock tends to grab every fly, and then you have to get up (spooking the hole), and spend the next two minutes untangling tippet and fly from said tree. A white pine, even if it looks as dense, the flies and tippet don't tend to "stick." If I have a tight backcast, I'll error on the side of the white pine.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 13:33

From Chester County
Wow, I've never have I considered that. If there is one lone blade of grass behind me, like a magnet, my fly and line are drawn towards it, and it gets grabbed up from the air by the grass, or weed, or limb or of any species or type of vegetative matter in its path. My theory is that my fly and line become positively charged by traveling through the air at such a great speed, all else in the forest, including our own garments and flesh is negatively charged. Opposites attract, so getting stuck in the bushes, trees or on our own person is due to this physical law of nature....therefore it's not my fault at all.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:25

From Lehigh Valley
I once got a fly caught in a tree on my backcast and when I turned around, this is what I saw......

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/1/22 17:46

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I once got a fly caught in a tree on my backcast and when I turned around, this is what I saw......

ONCE? Just ONCE? I do that a few times each trip? Or is that a Pennsylvania Dutch "once".

Posted on: 2009/1/22 20:01

From Lehigh Valley
Good one! I always have to laugh at the Dutchy version - "avunst".

I lose more flies to stuff on my backcast than to anything else. Once (avunst) I get focused on whats in front of me, I too often forget the stuff in back. The most bizarre "thing" I've ever hooked on the backcast was a really cute girl jogging down at the Little Lehigh. Luckily, it just caught sports bra and not skin!

Posted on: 2009/1/22 20:49

From Greensburg, PA
I've caught all teh normal things...my dad like to tell the story if the time caught a swallow...in Bruneau canyon in Idaho.

My grandfather followed every request with "wonst".
"Tommy, bring that here wonst." they lived in Ephrata

Posted on: 2009/1/22 22:02

Afish, tall grass is amongst the worst. Yeah, it seems like one frickin blade will suck in any cast within 10 feet. Then you actually tear off the whole blade from the ground, but no, its not done yet. Taking the thing off your fly turns tricky because it just keeps tearing, and you end up with a smaller and smaller green thing on your hook.

Thats a great picture of a tree giving the one finger salute. Does feel like that sometimes, doesn't it?

The weirdest thing I ever hooked was a golden retriever. I had seen him earlier, he came down over the hill and wasn't with anybody. He was friendly so I petted him a few times and asked him where his master was, no collar and a tail wag was his only answer. He wondered back up the hill, I figured the owner was up there, so I went about my business thinking he was gone. On one of my backcasts I heard a yelp. Got him good too, I felt so bad, thank god for barbless hooks. No collar, so I never did find or tell the owner, I hope whoever lost that dog found it and there were no permanent injuries from my fly.

Posted on: 2009/1/23 13:32

I think that what beginners weren't told is that almost everyone sucks when they first get started. Some blaze by you, like on wings like my son did. The thing I like the most about this sport, should you refer to it as that, is the willingness of others to share information. What's better is it that information is left to interpret. No matter who tells you what you are free to change it up! And that is the best! You can take what you learned and make it your own.

Posted on: 2009/1/24 15:05

You should have taken him home. Despite vacuuming it is a small price to pay for such a wonderful dog. Goldens are my most favorite but make horrible fishing buddies because they like water almost as much as fish!

Posted on: 2009/1/24 15:08

From Butler
Well, as someone who has been fly-fishing for a couple years, but still considers himself a beginner - I would say:

I wish that someone would have sat me down and really explained to me the connections between all the things that go into preparing and then actually doing the act of fly fishing

the correct way to attach tippet

which size fly to fish and why

and as weird as it sounds: a good tool to finding better streams and some hints on streams around my area -- although I am hoping that this site will help me with that!

Posted on: 2009/1/24 15:37

From Lancaster
Weirdest thing I ever got caught on was my girlfriends shoulder. Had to take her to the hospital to have hook removed. This was pre fly fishing for me and I was useing a 6" bass plug with barbed treble hooks....rusty too! she was not amused, rangers kept shakin' their heads, doctor made a "one that got away joke".

Posted on: 2009/1/24 19:10

Quote:

ErnieBall wrote:
Well, as someone who has been fly-fishing for a couple years, but still considers himself a beginner - I would say:

I wish that someone would have sat me down and really explained to me the connections between all the things that go into preparing and then actually doing the act of fly fishing

the correct way to attach tippet

which size fly to fish and why

and as weird as it sounds: a good tool to finding better streams and some hints on streams around my area -- although I am hoping that this site will help me with that!

That is an excellent point. That was my weak link and still is because I had so many people help me by tying my knots but not teach me. My son finally cut me off and showed me what to do as far as knots and when I forgot he pretty much said "Too Bad" you should have practiced. I at least figured out what to do without him doing it for me all the time. I don't think that's your case but the right teacher for the right person does make a difference. Don't be afraid to ask your local fly fishing shop for help.

It's never too late for a lesson, no matter how old or how long you've been fly fishing. You don't always have to pay but if you ask for help think of one thing and accomplish it before getting in too deep. Over Zealous teachers of the craft don't seem to help me any better than someone that gives me confidence in one area.

Best of luck with your learning curve, mine almost has an orbit of it's own.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com