Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Beadheads and wild trout

From South West FL
could have been a stream thing too. I kept in on and never had a fish take it. the other 2 slayed em.

Posted on: 2007/5/22 9:05

Quote:

but I will never use the shiney gold brass ones, because I believe they take away from the realistic look of the nymph. At least for wild browns, I have never had luck with the gold shiney ones.

I mostly use the copper ones, but the bright gold ones work very well at times for wild browns. Particularly on streams that aren't pounded hard and especially after a rain when the water is chalky colored.

But go with what you have confidence in. I think the copper ones are the best all around choice. I never use the silver ones. That's my predjudice. I tried them a few times and I don't think I ever caught a fish on one. So I just don't have confidence in them.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 8:08

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
[quote]
go with what you have confidence in.

This is the best fishing advice you can give on ANY topic. If you think you can catch fish with an old shoe...do it. Confidence is the best technique.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 8:32

From Southeast PA
Quote:

Quote:
troutbert wrote:

go with what you have confidence in.

tomgamber wrote:
This is the best fishing advice you can give on ANY topic. If you think you can catch fish with an old shoe...do it. Confidence is the best technique.

To re-iterate what Tom said, I'm looking at a flyfishing calendar on my wall right now, and on it is a quote that says:

"Success begets confidence and confidence begets success - and that upward spiral is the best restoration of streamside sanity." -Howard T. Walden II

Posted on: 2007/5/30 13:48

I think this depends on the fishing pressure a particular stream receives. Wild fish wise-up to bright beadheads after being duped a few dozen times :).

But the reasons for using a bead are still valid...the fish are still attracted to a bit of flash and the fly traveling at a greater depth.

I now use a black tungsten bead and rib my nymphs with crystal flash to provide weight and sparkle.

works for me.

Cheers,
Dewey

Posted on: 2007/7/27 20:19

From Stevens to Twenty mile
dude, bead heads are not a natural phenom. but for some reason trout lke em, even the wild ones. My best patern is a size 16 nymph copper john style using peacock herl and gold mylar as the wing case and cover. This fly has caught many many trout Kemoshabe, and thats why my theory about all trout being females holds water. Women love shiny things that dont make sense, bead heads dont exist as a natural food source any doubters now?? Hope this helps you out.

Posted on: 2007/8/1 8:26

I was fishing valley creek today, I was out of scuds except for ones with bright gold beads. I tried one and caught two fish on it. The were both only about 6 inches though. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Posted on: 2007/11/3 20:22

From Pottstown, PA
Trout like sparklies.

Posted on: 2007/11/11 18:33

From SE PA
check my three photos in my profile........all wild brownies........Beadhead pheasant tail nymph.........

Posted on: 2008/1/4 21:26

From Greensburg, PA
Rules are there are no rules...use whatever you like...beads are fine for anything...

Man, what made you resurrect this old thread....

Posted on: 2008/1/4 21:32

From bucks cty
After watching Ozzie Ozefovich's underwater video I can understand why beadheads work. Half the items the fish pick off seem to have goldish tinted air bubbles attached.

I should add he is coming to our TU meeting next month. I'm going to ask him his opinion.

Posted on: 2008/1/15 10:42

heres one to think about - bead heads work better for most people because of the weight of the fly offsets the anglers ability.
in other words, a weighted fly gets into the strike zone easier, faster, and doesn't take as much technique and hydraulic knowledge. Hence the confidence bead heads get. I'm guilty.
I fish bead heads on every outing. I go back and forth on weather its the attraction of the metal or the weight.
Part of me leans more towards the weight.
Think about the hydraulics - water moves slower at the bottom due to friction, so a weighted fly will actually move slower because it will cut through the water easier and be less suspectable to be influenced from the leader within the faster water to be pulled up or perpendicular to the flow. But then i have more confidence in silver and tungsten than gold which I'd say is a result of pressured fish seeing more gold, so that leads to attraction.
So, basically what i finally figuring out is it just comes down to presentation and what you comfortable using. So, I think its easier to get a better presentation with a weighted fly. Whats everyone else's thoughts - weighted and unweighted?

Posted on: 2008/1/17 22:26

From Stevens to Twenty mile
I cant believe this thread is still going lol. B.A.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 20:42

I like a bead head zug bug or prince nymph in higher more stained water conditions though. Right now I am on this kick with tying glass krystal beads onto my midge patterns which have produced on wilds, however, they don't add weight. I also use zebra midges with a bead and I produce a lot of wilds with that. Like a couple of other guys have already said use what you have confidence in.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:15

From Chester County, PA
I was recently nymphing on a very small stream in Chester County using beadheads. I was having a miserable time. The fish seemed to have no interest in taking beadheads, reguardless of the color of the bead.

I did notice that the position of the fish (wild browns) in the water column was a little unusual. They were hovering dead-center in spite of the shallowness of the stream. I switched to a nymph identical to the one I had been using, without the bead.

I decided to skitter the nymph on the initial cast rather than dead-drifiting it. This did the trick. I caught over a dozen large wild brown trout that day.

It think the bead may have nothing to do with it whatsoever, it probably has more to do with the position of the fish and the weight of the fly itself.

Ginky

Posted on: 2008/5/6 22:42

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com