Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Approaching A Spring Creek Volume 1: Picking your battles and controlling your wake

From Ephrata, PA
That's why I like fishing w/ Sal. He's only 2 years older than me, but his "fishing age" is well beyond my years.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 10:45

Re: Approaching A Spring Creek Volume 1: Picking your battles and controlling your wake

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Sal, of course that was tongue in cheek, especially the parts about claiming superiority and caring about numbers one day, and size the next. Meant for comic effect.

But really, what I said has some merit, IMO. Your post was very informative and a great read. And what you did was go out and test yourself, which is fun to do. For me, it's not my main style, but I certainly take on challenges like that from time to time. Variety is the spice of life.

I'm merely trying to describe an alternate approach to the situation, to our entire sport really. A different style, though your "pick your battles" mantra still rings true, it's just that I don't just pick battles I can win, I pick battles I can DEFINITELY win and do so quickly, so that I can get more battles. Sas's post kind of reminds me of me not too awfully long ago, and led me to back up my TIC post in a little more serious fashion, as it actually has some merit.

I fully admit I'm not a super fishermen in the sense that you are, in being able to figure out the best way to approach an individual fish in a difficult situation. Most of us aren't.

But what I am good at is recognizing the situation and going with the flow. Embrace your strengths and weaknesses and play to them, put yourself in good situations. Your stream/pool was difficult under the conditions, and the best fish in it are dang near impossible for us mere mortals. Instead of taking on mission impossible, there's also merit in my last sentence. Knowing when to fish where is a huge key to my own success. Seek out easier situations. And with that, the skill is in KNOWING where you will find easier situations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with skipping the difficult pool and moving onto easier ones. Realize the difficulty quickly, and move. Don't think twice, just do it. That's why covering water is so important. Put yourself into as many easy pools as possible in the time frame you have. In the 30 minutes you may spend figuring out (successfully) a difficult pool, you also could have fished 5 easier pools, and likely caught more fish and perhaps still gotten a good one.

And if the whole stream is difficult on that day, then the same concept applies to moving to a new stream. Do it, don't think twice, go find easier fish.

But as you pass by the difficult ones, put them in your mental log. Later that evening, back in your living room, you're gonna think about em, and you're gonna think about WHEN they will become easier. It's gonna bug you. And when you see the weather turn to your favor, you'll find a way to be there, and you'll catch those fish.

And in the end, you realize that you did better on day 1 than you otherwise would have, and you set yourself up well for day 2, and both days ended up being successful.

Just another approach to fly fishing. Everyone should come up with their own style based on what they enjoy. Sal and I both pick our battles and thats a heck of a lesson. Sal picks difficult battles and is good at winning them. I pick easy battles and strive to fight more of them.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 11:10

From down the block from the Letort.
But if you avoid these difficult fish & situations, how will you develop the skills it takes to catch them? Seems like your preference/approach of seeking out easier fish for the sake of tallying numbers can be self limiting in some ways.

Personally, I'd rather catch that one possibly legendary & difficult fish than have just another day of 'caught 6, most were 10"ers with a nice one pushing 13" mixed in...'

Guess it depends on your definition of 'success.'

And nice write up Sal, that's a fun stretch of water.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 12:52

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, for one, I outlined an approach, a philosophy of fishing. I personally most often lean towards that philosophy, but I too often violate it. For no other reason than I feel like it. Sometimes I choose to test myself in different ways.

And yeah, you hit the nail on the head with saying it depends how you define success. Size and numbers? Satisfaction of the chase in catching a difficult fish? How about satisfaction of discovering an unknown stream? Or the success of timing a hatch? Beauty of the spot you are fishing? None of those are invalid measures of success. It's up to you! Most of us have some combination of such factors, we just vary on how heavily we weight them.

And frankly, it's different on every different day. Variety is the spice of life. Today I feel like doing this. Tomorrow, I feel like doing something else.

And you ask how do you get better? Well, get better at what? That goes back to how you define success. But nomatter what your philosophy, absolutely, every day you are challenging yourself and getting better. The only thing that changes is the nature of the challenge. Is it choosing the correct approach, wading into position, and making a difficult cast, like Sal's example? Or is it predicting when to fish where? That's no easy thing. There's flow rate, water color, temperature, season, time of day, structure of the stream, hatches, and who knows what else to consider. Absolutely, you get better at predicting that kind of thing. The "easy" streams aren't always the same. There will come a time when Sal's stream is the place to be. Knowing when that will be is a skill that you can develop, just as you can develop skills on how to approach a hole.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:03

From Harrisburg
Dang, that pod of fish became famous!
Good essay Sal. Related to quite a few things you wrote there.The biggest battle I ever picked and fought fishing wise was living in the city that I do. I really dont like most of its inhabitants and its local gub'ment is a true joke.
BUT, it keeps me close to this stream and quite a few others.

You need to quit sneakin up here without lettin me know.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 9:50

From lancaster county
Resized Image

Will do dan! Ill be back that way in two weeks. Letort/Big Spring combo. Tho falling spring is on my list. I might do that one the same weekend.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 19:03

From Ephrata, PA
Sal are you up for hitting this area up on our birthday (or the Saturday before, the 21st)? I also have off that Friday. Would be awesome if we could connect w/ Squaretail!

Posted on: 2012/1/9 12:56

From Berks County
This is the type of post that makes me re-think what I am doing on the water. I love it. Thanks for sharing, Sal.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 19:29

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com