Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Another Knot Thread

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I've recently become interested in the Davey Knot. This is a tippet to fly knot which I've also used to tie a dropper off the bend of a hook. Its reasonably strong and quick and easy to tie. I tried it Sunday for the first time and landed 3 trout with no problems.

Here is a video and a diagram.

Any of you use this knot? How do you like it?

Posted on: 2008/2/18 23:07

Re: Another Knot Thread

From Bozeman
I'll give it a try.

I use the palomar and improved clinch knots for almost everything, but it's tough with tiny flies.

Posted on: 2008/3/9 21:03

I use the improved clinch knot and am happy with it. I think it was on versus tv, a show called knot wars? Anyway the palomar was first and the improved clinch second in knot strength. It was a pretty interesting show!

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:04

From Pittsburgh, PA
I had troubles with the improved clinch. I struggle with tippet to fly knots. I lose a lot of fish to poor knots. I went from the improved clinch to the double clinch (trilene knot). For some reason the trilene seemed to work poorly with small diameter tippet. I think maybe I mess up when I tighten a clinch style knot???

I just switched to the Orvis knot the last time I went out. I didn't have any problems, and was surprised with how easy it was to tie when I got used to it. Have any of you used the Orvis knot?

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

Posted on: 2008/3/16 11:09

Quote:

jpb5002 wrote:
I just switched to the Orvis knot the last time I went out. I didn't have any problems, and was surprised with how easy it was to tie when I got used to it. Have any of you used the Orvis knot?

I'm coming to the Davey Knot from the Ovis Knot. I agree the Orvis is not too bad to tie, but the Davey is surely simpler. I felt like I wasn't changing flies often enough to stumble into the right fly for the situation. I think if I change flies more often, untill I find what's working, I'll catch more fish in the long run. I'll concede the Davey is not the end-all be-all for knot strength, but its not bad at 85-90% line strength.

Does anyone else find themselves sticking with rig thats not producing because its too much trouble to re-rig?

Posted on: 2008/3/16 14:45

From Apollo
That Davey knot is just a figure eight knot. The Orvis knot is the same knot with an extra twist at the end. What is an extra second to tie the Orvis knot when it is a better knot. Just my two cents.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 18:09

From Pittsburgh, PA
Albatross,

I don't have any problems changing flies. But I mostly use just one. If I use a dropper, I make my top fly something that I'm pretty confident with and experiment with the dropper.

Another good idea is to get a leader and tie up a bunch of tandems before you hit the stream.

JB

Posted on: 2008/3/16 20:47

From Pittsburgh, PA
I just learned the other day that the dropper is actually the top fly in a tandem rig. I guess that makes sense when considering the two while drifting under water.

I have been using the orvis knot about two weeks (give or take), including a day of steelheading, and have not had any knot troubles. How has that Davey Knot performed?

Posted on: 2008/3/25 12:06

To tell you the truth JPB, I didn't have the nerve to try the Davey on steelhead. If I'd have thought about it, I probably would have gone to the Davey after I had landed my first steelhead of the day. I have caught a number of trout on the Davey and it is a little easier to tie than the Orvis.

So that makes the fly at the far end of the line the point fly?

Posted on: 2008/4/1 21:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com