Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Aerializing lots of line..

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

OldLefty wrote:
gfen, Heritage and anyone else interested:
I'll be in the Quakertown area (Allentown is just a hop) on Wednesday and would welcome the opportunity to cast with anyone who may be interested. I teach this stuff and distance casting is one of my fortes, so I'm told. No charge for an informal gathering. It could be fun!
Just let me know if anyone would be interested. We could do this along the Little Lehigh or somewhere else where we have plenty of casting room. Maybe Heritage Angler has a good venue in mind.

Anyone interested for Wednesday evening?

Dave Rothrock

Holy Smokes! You bet I'm in for this. I have a great spot in mind to do this. Opposite the fish hatchery parking lot entrance on Fish Hatchery Road is a road called Keystone Street. The first parking lot upstream on Keystone Street has plenty of parking, lots of casting room, picnic tables, and restrooms are a short walk away.

We've got the place and day - Dave can pick the exact time to meet that works for him.

Gary, Corey, and anyone else interested in joining us - the flyfishing gods are smiling on us in a major way! Dave is my pick for the one person in PA I'd most like to get casting help from. Don't take my word for this - the Federation of Fly Fishers says so. THIS IS FREE!!! Gotta take advantage of these opportunities when they come up. I can promise you a fun time as well - Dave is a blast to spend time with.

Dave - Thank you so much! I'll make a seperate thread to give more people the chance to see this, as soon as you pick the time to meet. If you haven't eaten dinner beforehand, we'll take care of you afterwards...............Ed

Posted on: 2009/7/10 23:30

From Chester County
Wow, I can't pass up a chance to meet "Old Lefty" (Dave Rothrock) and the even more famous "Heritage Ed". For all those who are not familiar with Dave Rothrock, here is a little info on him.

http://www.salmo-trutta.com/about-us/index.php

Anyone attending would be very lucky to be able to get some casting or fishing tips and pick the brain of one the true renowned expert FFers.

This is a very generous offer Dave. Thank you. I'll try to be there.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 7:30

From Mount Joy, PA
That Joan Wulff video was incredibly helpful. I strung up my 8wt today and was double hauling line in the back yard to the 60 foot mark and I'm a beginning FF'er. Amazing what you can pick up in a short video clip...

Posted on: 2009/7/11 20:21

From Delaware Co.
OldLefty I met him with Jayl at the hatchery on spring creek in Bennervile . I will try to come out on Wed and see how its done from a professional . What does someone have to go threw to become a certified casting instructor ? I wouldn't mind earning a title like that

Posted on: 2009/7/11 23:33

From SEPA
Well, damn, lookie what I started.

So, Wednesday evening down from the hatchery? Hopefully this is an evening affair for us 9-5'rs. Unless our instuctors lay out something specific, I'll just head over after work.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 8:49

Good for you guys.

Would like to attend but that is too far for me. No doubt they know there stuff.

I don't have any interest in pursuing a career in FF but a friend of mind is involved and is certified. (not that I am saying I am anywhere near good enough to ever near those categories- I am totally average and that's the way I like it- hehe)

Here is some infomation on that subject:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4454

Good luck and enjoy Weds. Heck, my buddy and I are usually too busy fishing for me to learn much.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 9:10

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Well, damn, lookie what I started.

So, Wednesday evening down from the hatchery? Hopefully this is an evening affair for us 9-5'rs. Unless our instuctors lay out something specific, I'll just head over after work.

Yup - it's all your fault.

This is just an informal get together. You get there when you get there, no sign up or anything.

I'll be there @ 3:30, and I'll bring a case of spring water (on ice). If you want something else, bring it. Keep in mind that we'll be inside the Allentown Parkway System, so no alcoholic beverages are permitted. We'll head up to the Brass Rail for dinner afterwards (8pm or so), and they have a bar.

Dave can post when he'll be arriving, but until he gets there, we'll flail away. Bring your own rod setup, and a 9' leader that you don't mind trashing. I'll clean everyone's line after they're done casting on the lawn (if they want it done).

We'll be right alongside the Little Lehigh, so fishing is DEFINITELY an option, before, during, or after.

If anyone needs directions, see my post earlier in this thread or PM me. This is happening UPSTREAM from the hatchery, not down at the fly shop.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 12:47

From Jersey Shore, PA
Glad to hear we have some folks interested. We'll have some fun and, hopefully, we'll learn a little, too. Like HA said, this will be an informal gathering/learning opportunity.

I'll be there around 3:30 with HA but for those who can't make it that early just come when you can. This is just as much for you 9-5'ers. I'll be looking forward to meeting folks to be able to put a face with the handle.

HA, I've got an assignment for you. Start practicing aerializing 75' of line and be able to vary loop size on command

Dinner at the Brass Rail sounds good, too. I was wondering what I was gonna do for food. We can talk all sorts of fly fishing stuff while we eat!

I'm probably looking forward to this as much as any of you!

Dave

Posted on: 2009/7/12 22:02

Webmaster
Hi Guys,

Sounds like fun. Please take some pictures so we can share on the blog.

Dave

Posted on: 2009/7/13 22:48

Shooting heads and mono running line.
cast half again as far as with fly lines.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 12:42

Why don't you call a shop and book some lessons. It will be 100% better than internet advice

Posted on: 2009/7/15 22:40

From Schwenksville
Dave,
Thanks again for taking the time to help us last night. It was very generous of you to make that offer and I think a good time was had by all the lucky attendees. To those that didn't or couldn't make it, it's unfortunate because you missed out on a great evening of instruction and insight on casting, fishing, flies and general BSing.
Gary,Ed,Tom,Lynn,
It was nice to meet each of you and I look forward to doing so again soon.
Adam

Posted on: 2009/7/16 9:03

From Chester County
Had a great time at the casting jam yesterday. Thanks to Dave Rothrock (Old Lefty) for taking the time to help us out with some casting instruction, and thanks to Ed (Heritage) for organizing the day.

Since the Western PA and Central PAFFers seem to be dead in the water, it's up to the guys in the East to get things going. As far as a trico jam, plans are being made as we speak. Details will be forthcoming from Gfen, Jayl, or Heritage in the coming weeks. Also, I tried last season but it didn't work out, but again I would like to plan an early fall trip to the Upper D, maybe in September.

Note: These events or "jams" are informal get-togethers organized by individual PAFF members and are not necessary sponsored or endorsed by the PAFF site or Dave Kile.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 9:31

It was wonderful to meet all of the guys that showed up for the casting session. While I'll never be a Joan Wulff, I got just the timing pointers to gain a few more yards and allot more confidence. Thanks! Dave! Yes I practiced today!!

Ed showed me the roll cast which now I am wondering why I thought it was difficult. Thanks Ed!!

Also all of you need to get me to either clean my ears or get a hearing aide. Dave said he was going downstream when I thought he went upstream so I missed seeing him catch fish and yes he even admitted to missing a few as well. I was just a fishing piggy, hit the water right at the parking lot, not the best place actually, worked my way up stream but did manage to pick up a couple of little brookies.

Dave and I can both tell you, hydration, hydration, hydration!! It was a bit hot and while I tried not to look like a sweaty drenched trout, I ended up that way despite my best efforts.

Anyway, it was a really nice day and these get to gethers are fun. We need to do them more often. Doesn't have to be a big crowd or a long day.

Afishinado,

I'd be up for a trip to the Delaware. Let me know.

I had a really good day. Thanks All!

Posted on: 2009/7/16 21:37

Afish- that's hitting below the belt.

We're in trout purgatory over here in western PA.

Maybe a warmwater jam is appropriate.

Nice pics.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 8:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com