Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Want to buy small Jon boat

From York & Starlight, PA
I'm looking to buy the smallest Jon boat possible. Need something light I can manhandle myself. Would like to leave it at my cabin chained to a big tree so I can reach fish beyond wading depth. I'm interested in either a Jon boat or pram 8' - 10' with a beam no wider than 48". Need pictures if not within one hour of York. A trailer would be a plus too.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 9:05

Re: Want to buy small Jon boat

From Cambria Co
Have you looked into a kayak? I know guys that ff from a kayak. They are easy to "manhandle" and can be strapped on to just about any vehicle or thrown into a truck bed for transport.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 10:53

I already have two kayaks, a two person "Keowee" and a "Poke Boat, as well as two pontoon boats, a Hyde, and a Lowe Bass boat. I want a little Jon boat to leave at my cabin chanined to the bank so I can have a stable platform to row out and stand while casting to rising fish that I can't reach while wading.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 4:38

From North East PA
Jeez WB, maybe you should change your screen name to Admiral - You've got a fleet!

Seriously, how do you like the kayak for fishing from? I knoww other members are in love with theirs.

If you had to choose, would you go kayak or pontoon for primary fishing platform?

Dave

Quote:

wbranch wrote:
I already have two kayaks, a two person "Keowee" and a "Poke Boat, as well as two pontoon boats, a Hyde, and a Lowe Bass boat. I want a little Jon boat to leave at my cabin chanined to the bank so I can have a stable platform to row out and stand while casting to rising fish that I can't reach while wading.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 14:08

From York
I have an older 12 ft aluminum flat bottom in York. It needs a new paint job for sure. No trailer though. We fit it in my dads f-150 bed. i also have a minnkota electric motor and the battery.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 15:35

http://troutpa.blogspot.com/

djs12354 wrote;

"Seriously, how do you like the kayak for fishing from? I knoww other members are in love with theirs.

If you had to choose, would you go kayak or pontoon for primary fishing platform?"

Yes, the admiral moniker surely might fit me better! I prefer not to fly fish from either of my kayaks. I just don't enjoy casting from that kind of sitting position. Yet when I'm in my Hyde I enjoy casting for the bow, or rower's seat, because I think the fish don't see your form so easily. I also think FF from a kayak might be a little risky.

IMO there is just no comparison regarding fishing from the yak or 'toon. Hands down the pontoon is more stable, safer, far more comfortable, and easier to fish out of then the yak.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 15:54

look at the koffler whitewater prams

hard to find on this side of the country.... but sounds like you have the means to make it happen

Posted on: 2012/3/30 15:54

Nice craft but one of them is almost the cost of a good used Hyde and trailer!

Posted on: 2012/3/31 6:20

Yeah
But you get a koffler instead of a used Hyde

12' is only 160 lbs
It will last longer than a life time even left chained to a tree
Rows like a sports car

Posted on: 2012/3/31 6:32

From Harrisburg
Dear wbranch,

If you want a used jon boat keep an eye on the local craigslist. Yesterday there were several 12 footers listed in York and Lancaster.

I have a question though, do you have much experience fishing out of a 10' jon boat? I can tell you that there isn't a lot of boat there to work with, they are low sided and not very stable for standing if you are somebody bigger than about 150 pounds.

You might want to keep an eye for any of the plastic row boats and dingies like the ones listed in this link. They come up for sale on craigslist from time to time. I have fished out of some of these boats and they all were much better fishing craft than the 10 foot jon boat I used to own.

http://directboats.com/rowboats.html

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/3/31 11:27
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Hi Tim,

Back in the mid to late 1990's I used to fish the Bighorn for a couple of weeks every summer and the place we stayed rented us 10' Jon boats. We were crazy and three of us would get in, with no PFD's, and drift down the 'horn, which is a big and deep river. We used it only to get to different locations and then got out of it to fish.

I want it because where my cabin is located is almost three miles down river from the nearest ramp and my place is on one of the last good holding water pools before taking out at shehawken.

At flows of 800 - 1000 cfs I just can't get out far enough to reach the rising fish. Eve at modest flows it would be nice to row upstream a bit and then row out and set my anchor and just sit and cast to all those rising fish. When it gets dark just row in and get out -

Here is a pic of me and two buds floating on the 'Horn.

Attach file:

jpg  DriftingwiththeBoys-1-1-1.jpg (85.74 KB)
2548_4f77a16506e3f.jpg 399X283 px

Posted on: 2012/3/31 19:54

Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/31 20:29:31
Edited by wbranch on 2012/3/31 20:30:37

From Harrisburg
Dear wbranch,

I just wanted to be sure you knew how small a 10 foot jon boat actually is before you got yourself into something you didn't want to be in.

You obviously know what you are getting into.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/3/31 20:39
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

Wbranch, I saw one for sale today in Boiling Springs. It's leaning against a tree in front of a house right along the lake. Didn't see the price, but it looks like what you are after. Besides, there's your excuse to fish the Breeches..........good luck

Posted on: 2012/3/31 22:53

Thanks I'll go for a ride and check it out.

Posted on: 2012/3/31 23:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com