Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How much would a few tanned deer hides be worth?

How much would a few tanned deer hides be worth to a flytyer? I have a few that Had 2 fist size holes I didn't like so I thought that fly tyers use these but don't know how much they are worth to them. I would probaly trade for some flies or something like that. Either that or give them to a friend.I don't know if it would be worth my effort in shipping and such.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:05

Re: How much would a few tanned deer hides be worth?

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I couldn't give you a figure, but if they included the tails too they could be worth a decent amount. Typically a 6" square can cost about $3-4 in most shops. Bucktail can cost about $6-8 give or take too. It would take me a lifetime to go through a whole hide, but someone who is packing deer hair patterns it could be worth it to get a whole hide. They could die sections to their liking and I'm sure save a few bucks (pun intended) in the process.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 16:05

From Bucks County
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
I'm sure save a few bucks (pun intended) in the process.

Everyone wants to save a little dough

Posted on: 2013/3/2 16:38

From Ferguson Twp.
^^Ahh, very punny^^

Posted on: 2013/3/2 19:10

From Tailwater USA
It all depends on the quality of the hair to be quite honest. You need just the right hair for spinning to make poppers versus the hair for wings etc. Then factor in the amount of underfur etc. Basically a deer with minimal underfur has hair that is very fine, versus coarse hair has alot of underfur, all based upon what time of year you shoot the deer. To be honest, even if the fur is perfect, it still requires cutting into strips and dyeing various colors etc. I would figure a standard PA deer hide doesn't have too much value to the flytyer, Just my opinion. Unless you tie commercial patterns requiring spun heads like muddlers etc. If you want a value probably $20-$40 max. You might want to take them to a local fly shop to see if they would be interested. They could assess then and cut them and sell them by the piece etc. I know for example Blue Ribbon Flyshop in West Yellowstone, MT has probably the best selection of hair anyway (Moose, Elk, Deer etc) I bought a premium piece of deer hair for comparaduns that was probably 8" by 8" for $6. So if you measure yours and calculate how many squares you can get out of it. Then you would have about the rough retail cost of it. Then take 65% of that number and that might give you a realistic value.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 20:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com