Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fly Tying Stations

From Eastern PA
A number of folks have asked me about the fly tying stations that I made. I made a decent production run of the small size and have a few on hand.

Ed (Heritage Angler) drew up the plans for the smaller station and request that I build one for him. It was just as easy for me to make a bunch as it was to make one, so I made 10 of them. I gave Ed one, donated a few to various TU groups who have used them in auctions retrieving $70 - $100 each. The smaller stations are solid heart wood cherry, thus they have no white sap wood. They are naturally finished with wax and shellac with no stain. Thus these will age over the years and get a nice dark cherry color. You can accelerate this process by putting them out in the sun for a suntan a few days. You could also put them in a tanning bed if you are really odd. The left side of the station has a hole drilled and hardware installed to hold most vice stems. These include Renzetti, Danvise and Regal. It is my understanding that most posts are a standard size but if you have questions let me know. There is one small hole drilled on each side that allows you to put in a small dowel or brass rod to hold extra thread, etc. I can include an Ash dowel section if desired. I did not install them with glue as Ed thought people may want to pull the dowel out when traveling. There are felt pads on the bottom of the units.

The larger one is the one I use and have a few people who want me to build the larger one for them, thus I will have an inventory of those as well. They have a 3/8" baltic birch sheet of approximately 3' long by 2' deep. In the one in the picture you have solid cherry rails on the right and left with various pegs, holes, etc. The riser across the top allows folks to store stuff under the riser and includes a ton of dowels and areas to keep head cement, etc.

I will sell you either unit for $75. I can't ship the large one obviously, so you would need to come to Reading or meet me at the Jam or in the areas I frequently travel (NJ, Philly, Harrisburg). All proceeds from these stations will be going to Tulpehocken Creek TU.

Attach file:

jpg  P1180112 (Medium).JPG (166.25 KB)
2943_4da9d3b353a58.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  P1180114.JPG (936.15 KB)
2943_4da9d3c5ec9ab.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/4/16 13:37

Re: Fly Tying Stations

From Lehigh Valley
The design for the small desk was one I came up with about 10 years ago. It was based loosely on the pedestal design that you can buy with the Danvise from Cabela's, BT's, etc.

I wanted something to enable me to put everything up on a shelf, and use my desk as a desk (imagine that).

jdaddy was kind enough to build one for LRSABecker - that's the one he gave to me.

My original desk was made out of poplar, and given several coats of Minwax polyurethane varnish. Ugly, but effective. jadaddy's workmanship on the new desks is absolutely superb! The finish really has to be seen in person to appreciate it's beauty. At that price, it's a steal.

The small desk would make a good travel base - no need to carry a heavy pedestal base, and the clamp is built in. It holds the vise stem securely, with no unwanted movement or tipping. It also has enough holes to hold the most commonly used tools, plus head cement, wax, etc.

The "tool holes" are 3/8", and are perfect for displaying tied flies in those red and black circuit tester clips. The guys at the tying shows would go nuts over these things (hint, Jeff).

Posted on: 2011/4/16 15:23

Very nice job on those and anything H.A. designs is a real winner. I was all ready to say I'll pick up the large one until I saw where the proceeds were going.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 21:57

From Philadelphia, Pa
M r purdy! I needed something enclosed a little more portable. I found an old humidor that is the perfect size just need to add some dividers and a place to clamp the vise.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 22:00

From Berks County
You know I'm down for one of the smaller tables.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:07

From Eastern PA
Quote:

littlelehigh wrote:
Very nice job on those and anything H.A. designs is a real winner. I was all ready to say I'll pick up the large one until I saw where the proceeds were going.

Well we don't dump our money into that chute! Lol. I'll donate it to a keg for the jam.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 13:20

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Just would add that I absolutely love my tying station and am thankful and grateful for Ed thinking about the concept and Jeff making one for him.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 19:48

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From SEPA

Dude, that big one is pretty styling.

And the small one beats the crap wood jobs you seein shops by far.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 22:01

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

littlelehigh wrote:

Well we don't dump our money into that chute! Lol. I'll donate it to a keg for the jam.

Now your using your noodle!

Posted on: 2011/4/17 23:01

jdad,

Can you be commissioned to do some 'custom' work? I have a pretty nice 'station' that I use but could use more storage for threads and flash materials. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard, you can PM me for details if you're interested.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 9:07

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
jdad,

Can you be commissioned to do some 'custom' work? I have a pretty nice 'station' that I use but could use more storage for threads and flash materials. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard, you can PM me for details if you're interested.

shoot me some ideas i'll try to help you out.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 11:28

when you're done with that you can stop by and organize our bench lol! it needs it bad

Posted on: 2011/4/19 22:40

From Downingtown
JDad. Count me in for one of the large uns whenever you build em. That's one sweet setup. Shoot me a PM if and when..

Posted on: 2011/4/20 8:59

From Philadelphia, PA
jdaddy - are any of the larger ones currently available?

Posted on: 2011/4/24 14:28

From Eastern PA
No large ones available right now. I am in NC for a couple of weeks handling storm claims. I should have them done for the jam for those interested.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 16:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com