Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

2 boats - 2005 & 2006 Clackacraft, 16', high side

From Dauphin PA
Coz at Border Waters is looking to thin the herd. He's currently got 2 boats that he'd entertain offers on. They are 16', high side, Clackacrafts. One is a 2005 and the other is a 2006. Boats come with standard trailer, 9 1/2' Carlisle oars, oar stops and anchor. He's asking $6500 obo (each). If interested, make an offer. Call him on his cell 607-760-2270. I know the one boat only has a dozen trips on it. Both are in great shape. Photos upon request.

Posted on: 2012/10/12 16:53

Re: 2 boats - 2005 & 2006 Clackacraft, 16', high side

From Cato, NY
Would love to pony up for this...the only problem is not enough ponies. and don't really like the idea of a pending divorce if I would pull the trigger on this.

Posted on: 2012/10/16 9:46

From Dauphin PA
LOL I hear ya. I'd love one too but I don't get up there enough to validate a purchase. Plus, I'm broke. For me, the pontoon is perfect because it goes everywhere.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 20:12

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
If I had the cash, I would be all over it. Especially with the Lehigh in my back yard. Think I would prefer and three man pontoon if I had a choice though.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 22:19

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Cato, NY
The pontoons are nice but I like to stand when I cast. some pontoons you can't stand on, but others you can, but they don't seem stable.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 8:51

Yea, I know what your saying MC. However, my buddy built one that you can stand everywhere on. It is amazing. Then again he spent around ten grand on it lol.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 13:11

From Tailwater USA
SB.
You need raft!, they are alot cheaper and are great on the lehigh. I almost bought one a few years ago because I really liked it, however rafts or pontoons don't come close to fishing machines as DB's do. Although rafts with full frames weight almost the same as DBs do. Plus rafts and pontoons are highly affected by wind. HS DBs can be tough in the wind to at times. However rowing a DB is much more efficient. However a raft can be a little more foregiving on rivers like the lehigh. I was going to take my boat up to the lehigh tomorrow but the rain really bumped the flow up. I wanted to get a nice fall float in.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 19:05

Yea, it is blown. Muddy mud mud. Anyways, I like the giant toons because they go through shallow water perfectly. My buddy Jake has a raft and it is nice, but not much walking space. We floated low flows on the Lehigh and Skuke for bass and I enjoyed it.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 19:21

From Tailwater USA
Yeah, I use to have a 2 person scadden and my buddy still has one and we like it. It is frameless and it is perfect for exploring with 2 people.The frameless option is nice because you can put it together in about 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 20:45

From Dauphin PA
Jason,
My pontoon has the standing platform.and lean bar. It's quite stable. I stood on the deck from Knights to the wall at Buckingham casting ISO's in the dark this June. It's plenty stable. Wind does greatly increase the suck factor of a pontoon though. If you are chucking meat or working the riffs with nymph rigs, a driftboat is hard to beat. It's nice to have someone worry about the direction of the boat while you concentrate on fishing. Pontoons win for access and take out spots. They also win for cutting directly across the river to get to a pod of risers. Very mobile. A hard side boat with long oars will smoke a pontoon in a race through a pool. Each has its good points. I like fishing out of the boat, chatting, joking, etc. The pontoon allows you to scatter and do your own thing. You have to join us one time this spring. I'll try to get you in the boat with B and see if Josh will lend you the pontoon for the day. At take out time, the boat kills the pontoon. You have to unload the pontoon and then strap it down. With the driftboat, you ratchet it onto the trailer and drive back to the room. 1/2 the time and bs.

Posted on: 2012/10/20 0:15

From Tailwater USA
After having a pontoon for years, I can say they have few advantages over a hard boat other than the fact you can put them in the trunk of your car and you don't need a ramp area to take out. I spent 10 days in MT using my old pontoon and it was nice to see the rivers with and get around on, but 90% of the fishing was done outside of the boat. They are nice to get from point A-B. A DB like kray said is more fun to fish with people, you can take what ever you want, and is a super stable platform to fish out of. Anyone who has fished out of one knows it is like being spoiled. I find myself not even liking to fish unless we can take the driftboat. Nothing like seeing 10 or so miles of river in a day. If you have the cash, I highly recommend one! Also alot of fun to lake fish in as well!

Posted on: 2012/10/21 21:19

From Lehigh Valley
Great points.... I have drifted in several different driftboats by different manufacturers. The two best by far IMHO are Hyde and Clackacraft. I have used high sides too as well as low sides. IMHO lo side driftboats are the only way to go. I will be hunting a Hyde Lo Pro xl used shortly, i will even go out west to pick it up if i have to.

I have a pontoon and they are good especially for seriously low flows.I dragged a Hyde aproximately 1000 yards over the course of a day month and a half ago up on the West Branch .Its not fun, but i have drifted the Lehigh also in a Steel Fishrite and had to drag that boat a few spots in the late 90's and that was like trying to pull an jet airliner with your teeth.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 21:35

From Tailwater USA
Lone Wolve,
I heard you dragging boats whether a pontoon or hard boat is do fun. I'm a high side fan just because I like the added safety and out here we tend not to get the wind. I've had both a Hyde and now own a clack. Both are nice boats, however I went with clack because they told me if I put a hole in it they will pay to have it fixed by a shop out east, while hyde said I would have to return it to the shop to fix. No brainer for me.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 8:31

From Cato, NY
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Jason,
My pontoon has the standing platform.and lean bar. It's quite stable. I stood on the deck from Knights to the wall at Buckingham casting ISO's in the dark this June. It's plenty stable. Wind does greatly increase the suck factor of a pontoon though. If you are chucking meat or working the riffs with nymph rigs, a driftboat is hard to beat. It's nice to have someone worry about the direction of the boat while you concentrate on fishing. Pontoons win for access and take out spots. They also win for cutting directly across the river to get to a pod of risers. Very mobile. A hard side boat with long oars will smoke a pontoon in a race through a pool. Each has its good points. I like fishing out of the boat, chatting, joking, etc. The pontoon allows you to scatter and do your own thing. You have to join us one time this spring. I'll try to get you in the boat with B and see if Josh will lend you the pontoon for the day. At take out time, the boat kills the pontoon. You have to unload the pontoon and then strap it down. With the driftboat, you ratchet it onto the trailer and drive back to the room. 1/2 the time and bs.

Yeah i would def be interested in trying some stuff out. Even one of those kayaks that splits open so you can stand would be sweet.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 10:43

From Central PA
mcwillja,

If you are seriously interested in getting a good pontoon boat shoot me a PM. I am looking to sell a 2 man raft. I don't think you will find one of this quality for a cheaper price. It's a good boat and has served me well from PA to Montana.

Para

Posted on: 2012/11/8 17:10

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com