rare fly fishing books

bushwacker

bushwacker

My friend's father passed away leaving him with an extensive collection of fly fishing/tying gear, apparel and literature. His father mentioned that one of the books was valuable;however, he can not remember the title. He has many, many books. If anyone here has knowledge of valuable fly fishing literature I would appreciate some insight. Perhaps a list of a few titles of rare books so I can search his collection. I don't want to purchase it if he does indeed own a valuable copy. can't afford it. Just want to help my friend and make sure a piece of history is not lost through ignorance. thanks

Get the list of the books and check online as to value. GG

First just look through the books and select out the ones you think have a CHANCE of being valuable.

Then do checks on:

Amazon.com

Addall.com (A consolidated book search website).

That will give you a pretty good idea of current prices for a book.

Check to see if any of the books are signed by the author...this could add value.

The Marinaro books have some good value, so do the Fox books. anything pre-dating 1900 has decent value, some more than others. The best value I've see is the early additions of "The Compleat Angler" by Izaak Walton. The place to find some realistic prices of old books is Alibris. you can always check eBay for prices, but some people that post prices there and at other used book sites, don't own the books they post the prices for.

Check a site called bookfinder.com It searches multiple sites and gives you prices and condition for books being sold across the internet.

Great site for finding prices on books you are looking for, so you can use it to find out value for various condition books

Back