my favorite

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

my favorite book to date is Brook Trout by Nick Lyons. it is a informative read on the history of brook trout and american flyfishing. a must have!

Since you like brook trout stuff you should check out the book Vanishing Trout by Charles Lose, which tells you about what brook trout fishing was like in PA "back in the day." Mostly about Loyalsock Creek but also with material on other NC PA streams.

This book isn't in print anymore but there are copies around and you could probably find one searching on the web.

thanks troutbert. never heard of it before but that does sound interesting. gonna try to find a copy. :-D

I have an original copy of the Vanishing Trout, mint condition printed in the early 1930's in Altoona. I bout it for six dollars from a used book store, that included shipping. It is really a treasure. I have attached a picture of the cover and title page for you to check. The cover actually has a gold type seal with a Brook Trout scene on it.

WG

Attachments

• vanishing trout.jpg
    vanishing trout.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 4
  • trout 2.jpg
    trout 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 2
I just picked up an original copy of The Vanishing Trout and am looking forward to reading it come this winter when my time on the water is reduced. Boy was it a hard book to find and the prices some places are asking for an original copy is ridiculous.

Glad you could pick up a copy. until your message I haven't found another fly fisherman around that has an original copy. Enjoy the read, it is really interesting. I think I have read it three or four times, and each time I enjoy it more.

"The Vanishing Trout" (originally entitled, "The Vanishing Char")
has been reprinted by a local northcentral Pa publisher. I got my copy of the reprint at Otto's in Williamsport last winter.

Great read. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Dewey

The Longest Silence: A Life in Fishing. ...by Thomas McGuane.

I read a few years ago but did not recall most of it so I am reading it again.

It is awesome!!!

"The Vanishing Trout" is an excellent book. I bought a replica copy of the original at Flyfishers Paradise. I have read it twice. If you are just beginning to fly-fish, you have a lot of great reading in front of you. I particularly like Robert Traver's "Trout Madness." There are just so many, it's hard to say where to begin. I have accumulated a modest fly-fishing library of a couple hundred books, but some of them are lousy rip-off's. For instance, I just plunked down 20 bucks for "Streams of Consciousness" by Jeff Hull. When I glanced at the chapter titles before buying it, I thought it was going to be mainly about trout fishing, w/ a few bonefish/permit tales thrown in; instead, it is an examination of the author's psyche, with the beginning chapter telling us about his escapades with females at age 16. Who cares? Don't buy it, unless you are more interested in psychological problems, a family death, and other such personal problems than in reading about fly-fishing.
Anyhow, there are lots of good fly-fishing books out there. But, let the buyer beware! There are rip-off's, too.

One of my personal favorites is "Presentation" by Gary Borger. Being a former professor, he has an amazing ability to put his teachings into words. I read the book over 3 times while I was in Iraq. He breaks everything down into its simplest form and puts it into words. It is a great book for beginners and serious trout anglers alike. It was only put into printing once so good luck finding one for under $200 right now. I attended a small 4 person class with Prof Borger at the Somerset Fly Show and he informed me that he is looking into putting out a second edition of the book with more updated information.

Back