favorite quote

bikerfish

bikerfish

this gets me ready for some winter steelheading!

from "a river never sleeps" by roderick haig brown.

"cheese and beer and the fruits of summer and fall fit naturally into any picture of fishing days. but a winter fisherman has other delights as good: after a january day of hard wading, good irish whiskey, sparkling by artificial light, and a fire of alder wood or maple leaping up the chimney; five or six hours to talk and a dinner of roast beef or roast saddle of venison somewhere in them, the inward warmth spreading slowly out to meet the surface warmth already built by a bath and the fire"

I just love the mental picture I get from this!!

"Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up." This is either Traver or Arnold Gingrich.

"Fly-fishing is an arcane activity practiced by a handful of harmless eccentrics." --possibly Nick Lyons before fly-fishing took off in the 1970s

"I think the brook trout is the most beautiful fish in the world" Ansell Adams...........not to get off the subject but a friend of mine who used to know and fish with Vince M said their favorite fishing snack was salted pretzels , sharp cheese , and dark grapes , and it is good.

Church is for people that don't like fishing on Sundays--- my mentor J.T.

P.S. I like going to church too :)

Saw this one somewhere and I really like it, "some guys go to church and think about fishing. Some guys go fishing and think about god"

"And if ye angler take fysshe; surely thenne is there noo man merier than he is in his spyryte.”

Who wouldn't love a nun who fly fishes? Not like the nuns that wrestled with my evil soul in catechism classes.

Salmo

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." Traver

This is a close second.

Salmo

" Dry fly fishermen are genetically superior "
From Jack Ohmans', " The Fear of Fly Fishing "

"I hesitate to join any organization that would have ME as a member" Groucho Marx

"To be or not to be, that is the question."
--Shakespeare

"To do is to be."
-- Sarte

"To be is to do."
-- Socrates

"Do Be, Do Be Do"
-- Sinatra

Another Sinatra quote:

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

I saw a great one the other day:

"At the first whiskey you announce that it has been a trying day. Then someone else says that it is nice just to get out.
Irrationally, you wonder you can get even for that remark."
--Thomas McGuane

If you ever reach total enlightenment while you're drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose.
- Jack Handy

Deep Thoughts

Here's a good religious one "Some folks get Religion when they see the light , Others when they feel the heat" From a country western song , don't know the name of the artist.

I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability. - Oscar Wilde

I personall like my quote.I think it says it all.

" I'm not the man I use to be,but then,I never was".

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt - Abraham Lincoln

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

Oh would that God the gift to give us ,to see ourselves as others see us._ To A Louse -Robert Burns

This is the actual quote, "O wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as ithers see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us. And foolish notion; What airs in dress and gait wad lea'e us, And ev'n devotion!"

Robert Burns

salmo wrote:
This is the actual quote, "O wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as ithers see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us. And foolish notion; What airs in dress and gait wad lea'e us, And ev'n devotion!"

Robert Burns
Ok, why is it called to a louse? I already know.Just checking.
An aside : in Dunedin, New Zealand there is a statue of Robert Burns, his back is to the Cathedral and he faces 5 bars.Nice tribute to the man I'd say. :pint:

"Work is for suckers."- I

"Do you think they're coming out of there stable?" Anthony A.

Back