ed shenk's -- Fly Rod Trouting

2bonthewater

2bonthewater

great read and the story of old george was pretty cool.......

bought the book for 2 bucks off half.com--it was autographed and practically brand new--sweet

I really enjoyed the whole book have read it twice!

Now that was a GREAT deal on a book that I enjoyed reading!!! I would recommend this book even at regular price! It really is a nice read.

JH

vintage stuff.............I also like fishing with the smaller rods for most of my trout fishing........

I love my 9 footers, but in the SE-- a 9 footer is rarely needed

It was great to read all the stories of various fish he called by name............

again, anyone who lives in PA...should read this fine gem

Great book! I like the patterns included in the back.

I've had the good fortune to meet Mr. Shenk on a few occasions. He's attended a number of flyfishing events in Boiling Springs that I went to. Another good reason to be active in the flyfishing community.

I am reading this now. It is and easy fun read. It also has a cicadia pattern in the back.

I got the chance to meet him a couple of weeks ago. He was a really nice guy. He didn't have to be nice to me, and spent some time talking and giving some excellent advice. Based on his delivery of that advice, I'd bet that besides being a nice guy, that he'd be a great teacher.

I'll have to get this book based on my experience with him and all of your opinions. You all seem to regularly give good advice and your opinions seem to be right on the money.

Thanks.

George

Good reading and lots of advice. I've had fun tying flies with Ed and do some tying demos with him. What a wealth of knowledge. Also got him to autograph my book. :)

I liked this book when I read it years ago. I liked the "Old George" story and chuckled that E.S., like Charles K. Fox's friend Don Martin who had caught a 15-lb. brown on Big Spring, was 99.5% pure as a fly-fisherman when he pursued Old George. Also, I remember his mention that the tricos brought Marinaro out of fly-fishing retirement. I met him a couple of times,but I do not recall why Marinaro went into fly-fishing retirement for a while, and it's not in Shenk's book. Anyhow, it is an interesting book. (If these limestone fishing books interest you, I recommend both of Marinaro's books and both of Charles K. Fox's. I particularly liked Fox's "This Wonderful World of Trout" and Marinaro's "A Modern Dry Fly Code." If you can find them, they ought to be in every PA fly-fisherman's library. I luckily ran into all three of these men during my early days of fly-fishing (1970s) on pilgrimages to the Cumberland Valley. I have not fished there for many years but remember the fish as being tough and the beauty of the Letort as being a gentle beauty. I suppose the housing developments have ravaged much of the valley, but I hope not. I guess I ought to go back. Sorry for the ramble; I liked their books and admired them.

Ed is still around and kicking, I've ran into him a coulple times at the shops in Cumberland Valley. Once at the YBO and a few times at the TCO. He still teaches a few masters classes at the Allenberry Resort each spring with Humphreys - http://www.allenberry.com/pages/promos/fly_fishing_school.html
Also doing some tying class as well - http://tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_Fly_Tying_Education.cfm

Back