Zane Grey?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Anyone here read any of Zane Grey's fishing stories/books? I got a book of fishing quotes for Christmas, and he's in it alot. Curosity got me and did a google search, he wrote alot of books and was wondering which one I should start with?

JH

I wish I could recommend something, but I just can't read him. I feel like I SHOULD like his stuff because of his genre, but I just don't like his writing for whatever reason. He has written a ton, so maybe I just picked the wrong ones.

I have read a good bit of Zane Grey, including a collection of his fishing and hunting stories. I have it...somewhere. Unlike the others, I enjoy reading his stuff. It is light, enjoyable reading, at least for me. I wish I could remember the name of the collection of stories that I have someplace.

Here is a great fly fishing tie-in. Visit the Zane Grey Museum and fish in the Lackawaxan and Upper Delaware.

http://www.delawareriverhighlands.com/pike/attractions/zanegrey/

If you go this time of year you can also see lots of eagles!

My suggestion is to start with the book "Zane Grey on Fishing". It is a compilation of passages from a number of the books he has written. It is NOT centered on fly-fishing, but on his many adventures around the world fishing by all different means for amny species of fish. If you like it, then chose other books. I have a mother who encouraged us to read a great deal and she always suggested books of different eras, topics, styles etc. and I would not consider Zane Grey light reading. It is, however, very well written and thoroughly engaging. If you like the styles of Steinbeck and Hemmingway you will not be disappointed.

Back