Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Your first book on fishing/flyfishing ?

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
My first was Marinaro's "A Modern Dry Fly Code," in the mid-eighties. Though I enjoyed it immensely, indeed I studied it earnestly, it lead me into a dry fly cul-de-sac for many years.

But the story has a happy ending because I later read Ray Bergman and found my way again.

Posted on: 2011/4/27 15:26

From SE PA
Mine was "The Orvis® Guide to Beginning Fly Fishing" Book by Tom Rosenbauer. Still one of the best entry level books on FF out there.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:31

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Started with these and many of the authors who wrote them..

Attach file:

jpg  books 002.jpg (113.22 KB)
112_4dc017c8ea04c.jpg 800X520 px

Posted on: 2011/5/3 10:57

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SE PA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Started with these and many of the authors who wrote them..

Lot of great classics there.

Posted on: 2011/5/5 20:13

From Jonestown, PA
LaFontaine's Caddisflies book is such a piece of work, I love reading that from time to time.

I too was tying before fishing. Mostly because my father was really into it and that was his way of getting me addicted.. well it worked. My first book was from him "A Book of Trout Flies" by Preston Jennings. Still use it for the majority of my ties.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:23

From South Central,PA
Mine was Ed Shenk's Fly Rod Trouting. When I was a kid I had a paper route. I delivered on Main Street. The folks at the Vacuum store gave me a gift certificate to the used book store for Christmas one year. The bookstore had just opened up beside the vacuum store. I had recently bought a fly rod so I ended up buying this fly fishing book with the gift certificate. At the time I was too young for it, I guess. I glanced at some of the pictures and maybe read a few paragraphs here and there, but it wasn't until this year, probably 20 years later that I decided to read the book and take up fly fishing again. Reading it was a real eye opener! I couldn't believe that I had this book that unlocked all the secrets that were a mystery to me back then. I should have read it when I first bought it. There's a lot of things I should've done!

Posted on: 2011/8/28 21:51

From Clinton County, Pa.
I met Ed twice at two different FF shows. He autographed a copy of his book for me. I talked with him for a while and asked him several questions about FF. He was very willing to answer all my questions. IMO he is a class act. His book is a very good read.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 23:55

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Tups wrote:
My first was Marinaro's "A Modern Dry Fly Code," in the mid-eighties. Though I enjoyed it immensely, indeed I studied it earnestly, it lead me into a dry fly cul-de-sac for many years.

But the story has a happy ending because I later read Ray Bergman and found my way again.
I just bought a old copy of Ray Bergman's "Trout". Looks like a good book. It has LOTS of old wet fly patterns. I love reading those old books.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 0:01

From Boiling Springs
I grew up in south eastern Massachusetts, fly fishing the kettle ponds on Cape Cod.

When I was about 14, I found a copy of "In The Ring Of The Rise" in my parents basement and I remember being captivated by the photography and really trying to digest what the author had to say.

I asked my Dad where he got it and he said he bought it in a fly shop back in the 70's when he went to PA to fish the Yellow Breeches and the Letort Spring Run.

Little did he or I know that 20 years later happenstance would bring me to south central PA and I would settle down in Boiling Springs where I could fish those places I'd read about over and over again growing up.

I still have that book and it's still one of my favorites.

Posted on: 2011/11/15 19:27

1st fishing book: Fishing (a Golden Guide) by George S. Fichter & Phil Francis

1st fly fishing book: The Soft-Hackled Fly by Sylvester Nemes

1st fishing classic: The Compleat Angler by Isaak Walton

1st fishing story collection: An Outside Chance by Thomas McGuane

The Golden Guide, given to me by my grandfather, has been on my bookshelf since 1974, the year I started to fish.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:46

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
My first fly fishing book was Spring Creek Strategies by Mike Heck. That's possibly why I love those streams in South Central Pa.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 1:05

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Southeastern Pa
Trout Stream and Hatches by Meck was my first FF book.

I want Caddisflies bad!

I don't think my wife frequents this board though so that hint won't help!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 19:33

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com