Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Your first book on fishing/flyfishing ?

From Bethlehm
"Universal Fly Tying Guide" by Dick Stewart. Bought in 1980 at Witwer-Jones Sporting goods store in Allentown. Still have it and the binding is falling apart and it is tattered, but still useable.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 10:40

From Berks County
I've read several over the past few weeks, including Charles Meck's "Trout Streams and Hatches of PA," Meck and Weamer's "Pocketguide to PA Hatches," Rosenbauer's "Orvis Guide to Beginning Fly Fishing," but my favorite thus far is Bergman's "Trout." The imagery this book invokes is awe inspiring and nostalgic. I can't wait to finish it.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 21:42

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, I had Landis' book for a long time, but I don't consider it a fly fishing book. I saw it first in 2000 or 2001, and I was transitioning to fly fishing. So I used it for both bait and fly fishing, and all my family used it as well, for solely bait fishing. It's a trout stream guide, and useful for trout fishermen regardless of tackle choices.

I think I gave that old beat up copy to my dad and bought a new one 3 or 4 years ago, which was well after becoming a FF. The new one rarely travels on trips with me, but it still reserves a spot on my nightstand. I got it signed at the VF show this last weekend, which was pretty cool, but I was a little embarrassed at how good of shape it was in!

But yeah, of fishing books, it ranks up there.

My first dedicated FF book was Joe Humphreys' Trout Tactics. I've bought a number since, but I'd still rank it #1, it taught me how to fly fish. Got that one signed last weekend too, and Joe even added a drawing of a fly!

Posted on: 2011/3/9 14:14

From Clinton County, Pa.
pcray1231, I agree. Joe's book is full of very useful information. I added it to my library several years ago. What he writes about was learned from many years of experience on the trout stream. Really good info on nymph fishing.

Posted on: 2011/3/9 18:07

From York & Starlight, PA
I'm pretty sure the first book I bought was "Nymphs" by Jim Quick. I still have it but the dust jacket is long gone. I'm looking to sell about two dozen FF books, many are first editions, and was wondering if anyone knew of any used FF book sellers within fifty miles of York?

Also have an extensive collection of Fly Fisherman magazines from the late 1960's to the present. Not every issue of every year but well over 150 issues. Am willing to give these away to someone who would enjoy, not sell, them. Must be picked up at my home or within fifteen miles of York.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 16:03

From Greensburg, PA
Sex, Death and Flyfishing

Posted on: 2011/3/15 21:46

From Eastern PA
Quote:

wbranch wrote:
I'm pretty sure the first book I bought was "Nymphs" by Jim Quick. I still have it but the dust jacket is long gone. I'm looking to sell about two dozen FF books, many are first editions, and was wondering if anyone knew of any used FF book sellers within fifty miles of York?

Also have an extensive collection of Fly Fisherman magazines from the late 1960's to the present. Not every issue of every year but well over 150 issues. Am willing to give these away to someone who would enjoy, not sell, them. Must be picked up at my home or within fifteen miles of York.

PM sent on magazines and on the books.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 22:11

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I would recommend if you are not looking to sell them, a donation to the local library might work.

Also, you might want to post the book titles you are looking to sell on here. someone might be interested.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 22:36

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Johnstown, PA
It was either Ray Bergman's "Trout" or Herters guide to Fly Fishing and Tying , in the mid to late mid 60's. From then on it's been as much as i can get my hands or eyes on from "The Complete Angler" to Geirach.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 8:21

From Mont Co, Pa
My first book was Trout Fishing, by Joe Brooks (1972). Still have it in very nice condition. I got it from the Outdoor Life book club. Remember the old "get 8 books for $1" deal?

Posted on: 2011/4/10 20:09

From Pittsburgh
After attempt to read maybe a dozen of books and not be able to finish one I got my hands on “Even Brook Trout Get the Blues”, since than got all of John’s Gierach books (with exception of the small volume of his poems).

Posted on: 2011/4/13 13:08

From York, PA
As a noob to FF, I have been told that Wolf's 'Fly fishing guide to Pennsylvania" and the pocket guide to Pa hatches was well worth the investment.

I'll be buying from Amazon used soon.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 6:06

From SEPA
Quote:

skybay wrote:
After attempt to read maybe a dozen of books and not be able to finish one I got my hands on “Even Brook Trout Get the Blues”, since than got all of John’s Gierach books (with exception of the small volume of his poems).

Similarity.

I've never read a single "technical" fishing manual cover to cover, or in one general time frame, with the exception of some of his books. Everything else is far too boring to be entertaining, and I'd rather go fishing and make mistakes than read about fishing.

Gierarch's books, OTOH, have been enjoyable, and entertaining, reading.

Posted on: 2011/4/14 8:45

From pennsylvania
"Trout" by RB

Posted on: 2011/4/21 22:09

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
My first book was Trout Fishing, by Joe Brooks (1972). Still have it in very nice condition. I got it from the Outdoor Life book club. Remember the old "get 8 books for $1" deal?

I recently came across this book while browsing an antique store with my wife. And with a $5 price tag, had to buy it.
It is a very good read - and after almost 40 years, still has a lot of useful info.
I was kinda surprised to find him recommending that newbies to fly fishing should start out with dry flies. I completely agree with him on that. That is how I got hooked on FF, and have gotten quite a few other people started into it fishing drys only.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 15:47

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com