What would you buy?

TLoomis

TLoomis

I'm looking to buy my first fly fishing book/novel. What would you suggest as a good one to buy? I don't read much, but since college I have been getting into the whole writing thing. Trying to put my experience as a fly fisherman into word's is fun for me, so I would love to read what real writers have said.

So what would you suggest as a good book to buy as a nightime read?

Thanks guys
Ty

Vanishing Trout, by Charles Lose.

If you can't find a copy to buy, go to your local library and get it through inter-library loan.

troutbert wrote:
Vanishing Trout, by Charles Lose.

If you can't find a copy to buy, go to your local library and get it through inter-library loan.
+1 for Vanishing Trout. Great read!

I'd agree: "The Vanishing Trout" is a wonderful book. If you can't find it, go to Barnes & Noble and pick out any John Gierach book. They're good reads, too.

A River Runs Through It, Norm Maclean.

If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I would get some proper novels, and the above suggestions are good.

But I would definitely get some gierach for the toilet, and maybe a copy of one of his books for the fishing bin. I've enjoyed it streamside a few times.

I got into writing in college as well. I need to get back to it.

Thanks guys! I am going to hit the book store after my calc class on thursday since it's right there. Oh wait, I have to fish the tully first, THEN the bookstore ;)

You have no idea how many times I made that exact trip. The tully, then the barnes and noble off broadcasting to buy books.

If your looking for PA related fishing by Dwight Landis's Book.

jayL wrote:
You have no idea how many times I made that exact trip. The tully, then the barnes and noble off broadcasting to buy books.

Awesome lol. Thats the plan for thursday.

I'll let you guys know what I pick

"Bright Rivers" by Nick Lyons. 1977

I am assuming you wanted "prose" and not "tech book" recommendations.
Gierach's work is a modern day rendition of Lyons' classic style.

Well I was going to get a book, but after my trip to the tully, I decided I needed to take a trip to TCO. Maybe next week. That way I can look nice for all the hotties that hang out at the book store

Do you want an FF "book" or do you want a novel?

If the former, any of the suggestions already posted are good ones.
The Vanishing Trout offers fascinating history. The Landis book, despite the glut of similar works out there for virtually every state/region of the country, is unique in its accuracy and focus on fisheries quality and nuts and bolts access information and is head and shoulders above the pack as an informative guidebook. Anything Lyons wrote is worthwhile as a great introduction to the particular wealth of essay writing out there on fly fishing. I think, when we look at sports-related prose, only baseball has anywhere near the same amount of fine literature out there to choose from.

But if you want a "novel", I mean an actual novel, as good and as revered as Maclean's "A River Runs Through it" may be (actually a novella), the best novel out there that I've found with fly fishing as a central theme is Joseph Heywood's "The Snowfly". It isn't completely about fishing, but fishing is a central anchor of the story and plot. "The Snowfly isn't just a fine fishing novel. It is a fine novel period, irrespective of genre.

But I've said all this in previous threads on the same topic. Worth repeating though, IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Snowfly-Novel-Joseph-Heywood/dp/1592285104

Back