Well well.... :-)

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Link

Well well....look who it is ;-) Good article with a PAFF member.

Good story. I have bought dean's flies and they were outstanding.

Very nice.

"Fly anglers are becoming increasingly scarce on local waters, and the ones you do see tend to have gray stubble on their chins, rather than smooth baby faces."

Do you guys think this is a myth that is perpetuated, much like the quoted elitism, or do you see a fair number of younger guys on the stream?

jdaddy wrote:
Very nice.

"Fly anglers are becoming increasingly scarce on local waters, and the ones you do see tend to have gray stubble on their chins, rather than smooth baby faces."

Do you guys think this is a myth that is perpetuated, much like the quoted elitism, or do you see a fair number of younger guys on the stream?

While fly fishers tend to be a bit older than the general angling population, there are quite a few younger ones too in this elite bunch of anglers...... ;-)

jdaddy wrote:
Very nice.

What do you consider young?

I don't think flyfishing is dying out. There are far more people flyfishing now than there was back in the 1970s and 1980s.

jdaddy wrote:
Very nice.

Myth. FFers like to complain about dwindling numbers and lack of youth. It makes them feel even more special.

Them darn baby face kids and there shinny reels trying to make a buck!

RowJimmy wrote:
Them darn baby face kids and there shinny reels trying to make a buck!

Snot nosed punks, all of 'em.

My wife asked me if I carded Jimmy when he was over here drinking beer one day.

Troutbert I appreciate your input on this given your senior status. LOL. But seriously, I haven't been around the community long enough to make a determination, however it seems to me that there are a lot of "other than grey" folks fly fishing. I believe there are a ton of new folks in fly fishing as well, however the average age to "conversion" is likely middle age, thus resulting in an older average.

nobody flyfishes any more. the trout streams are too crowded...

I am totally grey at 33 years old and have had grey hair since 13.

Maybe that's why I was attracted to fly fishing at a young age? I also had a thing with yelling at those dang kids to get off of my lawn since fourth grade.

Back