Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Has anyone read this book: Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams by Charles Meck

I ordered this on Amazon and just wondering if anyone else has read it and what I can expect, good or bad read? I hear that Charles Meck books are good...

Thanks

I just read the blog, "Fly Fishing Getting Started - Books" and saw that the previously mentioned book was recommended. I guess that means it should have some useful info for a beginner like me. If anyone still has anything to add, feel free to chime in. I should receive it sometime this coming week.

I have this book and it is a GREAT read. The guy who wrote it has personal stories and experience with all the streams he talks about pretty much. Great hatch charts and directions on where to fish.

Its a must have IMO

Sorry you spent your money on it. I am no Meck fan, and this guide has quite a few inaccuracies concerning places with which I am familiar. Having said that, I guess it is about as useful as the other guides are.

I feel the complete opposite of rrt. I agree that there are a few missteps, but that happens when you write a book that has so many different streams in it. I did not have internet access for a long while, and without having this book I would have been fishing the same few streams all of the time. I think it is an AWESOME book and 100% worth the money. It gives you enough info to get you to the stream and some basic hatch info, it does not catch the fish for you. Plus many of the streams in his guide are also on several of the PAFBC lists anyways. Many thanks to you Mr. Meck for keeping me moving around to different streams and staying addicted to flyfishing.

I consider Meck's book to be a staple. It has inaccuracies, and occasionally ignores great streams in an area, while highlighting crappy ones. It's still got a spot in my car every time I go on a trip. The more information I have, the better.

I have that book, which is the 3rd edition, and two copies of the 2nd edition. They are very useful for planning fly-fishing trips. They are a bit outdated but most of the information is helpful. The 3rd edition has a few more streams added, but I like the 2nd edition because it has the hatches for each stream listed by date range. For example it says:

Best times to Fish:

May 10-May 31

march browns 12-14 afternoon, evening
sulphurs 14-16 evening
green drakes 8-12 evening
Olive Caddis 14-18 morning
Tan Caddis 14-18 morning

This was replaced with Meck's personal rating of streams (1 to 4 stars) in the third edition. The 3rd edition is good for leisure reading. The 2nd edition is good for planning and taking along on fishing trips. Thats my 0.02.

I recommend it.

I recommend Dwight Landis's book even more. If you dont have it go buy it!

Dont forget Mecks Mid-Atlantic Trout Streams. Has a few more PA streams in it and some from NY and NJ.

Any book Meck did with streams in it is sitting on my backseat at all times. They are all good, especially his matching the hatch books.

I received the Meck book now and am very impressed so far. It seems to have a lot of useful information in it.

I think that Mecks guide books are all very useful.
I bought his first book - "Meeting and Fishing the Hatches" when I first started fly fishing 30 years ago. And it really helped me discover much of the great fishing that our state has to offer

The book is very good. Remember, it's not the bible but a starting point. Especially helpful if you want to fish an unfamiliar stream.

Worth the price of admission. I am not a big fan of the writing style, however this is a matter of personal taste. It's a good book to give you a short review of a wide variety of streams. I think some folks got turned off in the 3rd edition when a "four star rating system" was applied to each stream. No one wants to see their favorite streams rated two stars and of course some streams are well overrated. I agree with Sal that the Dwight Landis book is a good bit better, however it is becoming very hard to come by.

Back