The Vanishing Trout by Charles Lose

misanthropist

misanthropist

I am sure there are other reviews of this book, but I figured I would add another. The author Charles Lose lived and fished at a time when the old world was transitioning to the new world. He witnessed the demise of the Brook Trout, the felling of the forest, and the destruction of our rivers and streams.

The book is a series of stories spanning from the late 19th Century to the early 20th Century. According to the author Brook Trout could reach 3-4 pounds in our larger rivers.

The book is more than a fishing book, it is a natural history book, with many references to Passenger Pigeons and American Chestnut.

Not only was the book educational, it was entertaining. The writing has an old fashioned touch to it, which I think gives the book character. There where many parts that made me laugh out loud as I was reading it, sometimes the humor was intentional, other times it was just the way the author worded things.

Over all It was a great book. It's a bit expensive. I paid 30 bucks for mine, but it was worth every penny.

Good read for sure. The Loyalsock was my stomping grounds for over 25 years, and it was nice find out some of the holes had their names back in the author's days.

A wonderful book. If I were allowed to keep only 10 of the several hundred fishing books I have, this would be one of them. It really is a nice look at the way things used to be.

Back