The Vanishing Trout - a book review

J

jjsjigs

photobucket-1504-1319637003499.jpg

The Vanishing Trout by Dr. Charles Lose

Certainly there is no shortage of literature on fishing and flyfishing. Many gifted writers have turned their talents to both the beauties and practicalities of fishing; yet Dr. Charles Lose is one of the few whose work has been largely ignored. Originally penned in the 1920?s this work was merely a batch of short stories he wrote while living in Altoona, PA. However after his death in 1931, his manuscript was found and published by Henry W. Shoemaker of McElhattan, PA. (My edition is the sole 1993 Gateway Press reprint.)

Dr. Lose was one of the fore-front environmentalists on behalf of Pennsylvania’s trout. Shockingly enough, his outcry for the protection of our fisheries came at a time when environmental matters were a moot point in Penn’s Woods. In his lifetime he saw the demise of our old growth forests from the timber barons, the scarring land-rape from the coal mining companies, and even the “slob” practices of over-harvest from anglers. Sounds familiar even now in 2011, doesn’t it?

Take away timber barons and coal mining and replace with gas drilling and loss of fishery habitat. (The slob anglers horde remains the same). This was a book authored well before its time, but yet so everlasting a message for the protection of our fisheries. I would go so far as to include The Vanishing Trout in the same class as such cornerstones of the fishing literature as Ray Bergman’s, Trout, Izaak Walton’s The Compleat Angler, and Alfred Ronalds’ The Fly-Fisher’s Entomology.

As Dr. Lose himself observes, his life occurred during that in-between era of history, which saw the last of the so-called “old-fashioned ways” typified by stateliness, Victorian values, and a slower pace of life. That culture was supplanted by the beginnings of the modern era, characterized by scientific and technological advances and the environmental consequences (both good and bad) thereof. This bridging or blending of eras has a curious effect on his writing. The Victorian literary style is clear throughout, yet his approaches are clearly influencedAnother aspect of The Vanishing Trout that has helped its longevity is that it appeals to the thinking angler. He prose took me back to an earlier time when things were simple and beautiful. I have read several chapters over and have found something new each time I read and re-read this book. Much of his storylines take place on our famed Loyalsock Creek and deal with fishing for our Commonwealth’s native son, the Brook Trout. The premise of most of his stories can be attributed to his powers of observation and deduction, and he clearly communicates the value of these. By encouraging the reader to follow the dictates of his own reasoning than simply after the crowds or conventional wisdom, he strikes a chord in the intellectual snob lurking in all of us.

I loved this book and would suggest that any worthy FF'er pick up this book. I guarantee that it will remain one of your favorites.

photobucket-617-1319636970961.jpg

I own a copy and must agree with you it is a GOOD read for any flyfisherman. :)

Thanks. Well done on the review, and a nice touch with the photographs. I'll have to keep an eye out for a copy or go interlibrary.

I agree that this is really a wonderful book, a nice look back at the way things were in n/c PA. If you can find it and read it, you will certainly not be disappointed.

I have an original copy and have read it several times. His pontification is at times a bit tiresome, but I completely understand his motivation. My favorite piece is probably "The 'Sang Hunter", his memoir of an old-time mountain man, but Lose's account of his trip down the Middle Creek with two companions is a clear window into a long-passed era of Pennsylvania trout fishing and fisherman. I highly recommend this book.

This one is now on my "got to read" list, thanks. I have a huge interest in the history of the Loyalsock region. Have anyone of you ever heard of "The Bag Puncher" ?

Only when my wife kicks me in the figs.... then I call her the Bag Puncher.

I'm uber familiar with the 'Sock since it's in my "backyard" of fishing locales. However, in Dr. Loses' book he references a lot of "holes" by olde-timey as heyull names... I wish I knew which holes he was talking about... since the hole-naming has changed over the last 100 years. I know of the Whistle-Pig Pool, Million-Dollar Hole, Susquehanna Salmon Pool (named for the walleye caught out of there in 1984), "The Swimming Pool" at the park (sometimes the No Fishing signs get knocked down), Kayak Hole, The Junction Hole (lil 'sock and big 'sock), The Bridge Pool at Forksville... any of you guys got any names for these places?

I recall Lose mentioning catching huge brookies just below a massive timber crib dam on the Loyalsock. I wonder if any remnant of this structure exists today, and if so, where it might be.

I would like to get a copy of this book.

PS:
The picture was taken on Elk Creek with steelhead run.

Attachments

• Elk_Creek_Folly's_End_November.jpg
    Elk_Creek_Folly's_End_November.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 6
That hole looks like the same hole that is above the bend of the Legion Hole.

Great review, jjsjigs. I can't say enough good things about this book. I'd put this up in the top five or so of the Great Works of writing about angling. What keeps it off most anglers' radars is what makes it so good for Pennsylvania anglers--it is somewhat specific to this part of the world.

I finally obtained a copy of this from the Liberty Book Shop in Avis, PA. It wasn't horrendously expensive, but it is the most expensive book I've bought since graduate school.

It's a good non-academic review of the ecological degradation brought about in Penn's Woods. The hand of man is everywhere even when this book is set.

One thing I love to ponder is how it used to be possible to put a boat on a train, accompany said boat on said train, stop the train and launch boat, float & fish for three days, and be home before the following weekend. Well that's one of the many things this book has brought to mind. 20" brookies are also nice to ponder.

Great review - thanks.

I really need to get a copy of this book.

Anyone can read the book, for free, by just contacting your local library, and getting it through inter-library loan.

I've got to read some obscure fishing books this way, including books about the early days of brook trout fishing in the Adirondacks, and in West Virginia.

So, they can surely locate Vanishing Trout. I know that some libraries in PA have it.

I picked up an autographed copy of this in 2003 on Ebay for over $100 bucks. Great read, as the Sock was my stomping grounds for over 20 years.

Very familiar with many of holes mentioned, including one of my favorites, Cold Watch!

Where does the name "Cold Watch" come from?

I finally kinda gave up on finding this book at a more reasonable price - and went to the library to get it. They don't lend it out there though, and I had to read it "in house". So I spent 3 hours or so reading it there sunday afternoon. And at that, I only got through about two thirds of it. I'll have to go back and finish it sometime

He certainly was an environmentalist ahead of his time
He had an interesting proposal for restoring the weakening trout populations - close off to fishing all streams that were a yard or less wide, to act as nursery waters. He did acknowledge, however, how hard it would be to enforce a rule like that.
And - rather oddly IMO - no mention at all of catch and release fishing. Guess that idea was just never even considered at that time

The one chapter - called "my fly book" - talked about the patterns he carried. There weren't very many - like a dozen or so - and I guess they were mostly wet flies.
He did say however, that dryfly fishing was the "most sporting" way to go. And that if he had more fishing days ahead of him, than behind him, he would throw out all of those wet flys, and fish only dries

Here's a first edition copy for sale for $56.

http://www.biblio.com/books/165916680.html

That's a good price.

I bought this book this past fall but haven't gotten to it yet. It's next in line though.

Back