Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

The Compleat Angler

When I took up fly-fishing 45 years ago, my dad gave me his copy of "The Compleat Angler." When I found that it was not a fly-fishing book, I never read much of it. Well, I just read it, and taken in its historical perspective, it is a remarkable book. Walton knew a lot about a lot of different kinds of fish and how to fish for them, mainly with various baits. I have seen him "slammed" because he supposedly ignored fly-fishing, but there are spots where he discusses ff for various kinds of fish. The Charles Cotton addition, which addresses fly-fishing pretty thoroughly, is pretty amazing for its time. Cotton speaks of flies that work from January through December; he was not merely a summer angler.
Anyhow, if you're looking for some historical fishing -- and fly-fishing -- reading, you probably ought to read Walton's book. I am surprised just how advanced he -- and Cotton -- were in the 1600s. "The Compleat Angler" would be well worth the time you might invest in reading it.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 16:44

Re: The Compleat Angler

From Clearfield
I have heard this more than once, i hope to read it some day.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 21:33

From SE PA
Someone mentioned the book in a thread recently so I kept an eye out for it. Found it on a discount table for $9. It's the Charlie Cotton version. Haven't read it yet.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 10:19

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
is this different than the Lee Wulff book? Lee Wulff, the Compleat

Posted on: 2011/5/17 17:58

From SE PA
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
is this different than the Lee Wulff book? Lee Wulff, the Compleat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izaak_Walton

Posted on: 2011/5/19 10:07

Yes, completely different book from the Wulff book. "The Compleat Angler" is from the 1600s and was written by Izaak Walton. Though preceded by other fishing writing, "TCA" is generally regarded as the first fishing book.
(Yes, I know about Dame Juliana's writing, but it was part of a larger book that dealt with many things.)

Posted on: 2011/5/24 14:32

From Lambertville
This movie is almost 48 min long. It does not have the excitement of fly fishing in Alaska or on famous streams out west, but it is entertaining and relaxing.

Here's the official description:

"The Complete Angler is a film by James Prosek (artist/writer), Fritz Mitchell (producer/editor) and Peter Franchella (cinematographer). It documents Prosek's travels as he walks in the footsteps of the 17th century English writer, Izaak Walton—"research" for his senior thesis at Yale. The film focuses on Walton's book, The Compleat Angler, a book that many have heard of but few have actually read."

Posted on: 2013/3/7 13:25

From Dallastown, PA
Thanks for sharing RC, I enjoyed that film.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 17:27

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com