Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Tell all books: good or bad?

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I think these books are good for the sport and indispensible for the beginning angler just getting serious about the sport. I bought both these books a few years back when I got serious about flyfishing.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:34

From Monessen, PA
The difference between a "tell all" book and a "tell some" book is whether it mentioned any streams I wish it wouldn't have. I believe in sharing information freely but have refrained from mentioning one stream I thought could be vulnerable to overharvest and I try to be discreet with secrets others have shared with me privately. I also believe that more harm can come to a stream by protesting about its publication than the publication itself. I cannot count the number of streams I have become interested in fishing only after someone pitched a fit over its public exposure.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 18:58

Quote:
I also believe that more harm can come to a stream by protesting about its publication than the publication itself. I cannot count the number of streams I have become interested in fishing only after someone pitched a fit over its public exposure.

Your somewhat right. I've seen - and started - debates on other forums where either I or a handful of others protest a newbies spot burning of a lightly pressured water. Would it have been better not to say anything or just pm them? Probably. Hindsight suggests keep my mouth shut and hope its one time thing. The problems really start when others who don't agree("your selfish", "nothing wrong with sharing", "there are no secrets",etc) chip in and make things personal. Arguments result and this drives up the replies/views and next thing you know, a rather innocent post about some trickle in the mountians becomes the most viewed topic on the website - not exactly what I had in mind when i chose to bring it up. I need to choose my battles more carefully.

NJA

Posted on: 2009/1/20 7:50

From Ohio
Well, it is selfish, to want to have a river, especially when its on public land, all to yourself. I'm selfish. Its OK to be selfish. I usually just name a bunch of other streams in the area when someone mentions my pet stream to spread people out. I don't blab about really small streams or streams that other prople showed me/told me about in the first place. Thats why I post so few reports about my jaunts to the alleghenies......because they're all someone's pet stream, often my own. If they are on public land, and have some measure of environmental protection, nothing can be gained by blabbing about them. If they are on private land, I don't blab about them out of respect for the land owner.

But I am sneaky and selfish, I don't deny it.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 17:34

The regs listed for many of the streams are completely out of date. I wonder how many hatches have also changed since these books first came out- what over 10 years ago?

Posted on: 2009/1/20 17:55

From York County
I would have to say good and bad. I have the Dave Wolf book. As far as the book goes I don't feel that it gives away any real secrets or completely advertise a specific spot. What it does do is give general info on maybe one to three streams in each county, or about a dozen or so in each region of the state. It seems to me that it is a helpful reference and one of my favorite streams is in the book, but it doesn't tell you much about this particular stream. It doesn't say park here and wade in next to Jake, thats where the fish are. That would piss me off. Most of the streams that are written about in detail are well known popular streams that are crowded and have been that way for a long time. As for the others they are mere suggestions, in which some advice is given but a lot of exploring is left to be done. It's like a map without the X. On the other hand, and we are all guilty of it, posting very specific spots on the net can be bad. Most of the books on the area are bought by people in the area. As far as the internet goes
I would say I might post about a stream that I've been to but recently I've sent and received a few (pm's )about certain streams or specific areas that I feel shouldn't be advertised any more if any at all than they already are. I've gone to a stream or two and decided that I wasn't going to post anything about it because I didn't want to get on the site the next day and see the over 400 people viewed my post about a stream that not many people know about. I've also posted some things in the forum that I later realized I might not want to post about anymore. I guess I can say we all have benefits in finding new information, but if we give too much information it can bite us in the ass.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:04

From bucks cty
Let's say it was possible to publish a book which contained information on every trout stream in the US. Listed good pools riffles and runs, hatch charts, local patterns, public access spots, etc. So there were no secrets anymore. My guess is that it would tend to spread out the fishing pressure. Sure the streams closest to the population centers would get the most traffic but that happens anyhow. Those that are the most remote would get the least traffic. This happens anyway. I would expect when there is restricted information those fewer number of well known streams close to population centers would get hit hard.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 10:03

Both.
When I was outdoor editor for the Potter Enterprise, I did a comprehensive on the three watersheds and received quite a bit of flack from certain people about certain streams.
My motive for doing it was to help the paper's business and the business of the advertisors, and to help visitors expand their visits beyond the very well known.
But streams change, land ownership changes, fish populations change and visitors change. In truth, the longevity of the information in tell-alls is not long.
On the other hand, I've guided off and on since I was very young, and experienced some terrible results - those I showed specific places and techniques came back on their own and showed others the same places and techniques and pretty soon those places lost their magic and/or were trashed.
For me, it was shooting myself in the foot, and I won't show my personal favorites any more, because I don't have time to let them recover to enjoy them again. The same is true with grouse and deer hunting spots. Find them on your own and when I see you, all is well.
Commonly, in addition to personal financial gain, and reputation building, there is the ego-stimulation of showing someone great things, but it frequently can come back to destroy the thing.
I once told a new newspaper manager specifics about where to take his boy to hunt wild pheasants. The guy was a jerk and horrified me later when he said he and the boy ended up walking through an orchard shooting apples. I felt terrible about it, for not screening this guy better.
If you're going to tell some things, you must own some responsibility for what happens to it and the behavior of those you send on their way; especially if you tell them to tell the landowner you sent them.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 10:38

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com