Review: Pennsylvania Mountains by Czarnecki

F

Fishidiot

I just love this book!

Longstreet Highroad Guide to the Pennsylvania Mountains
by Greg and Karen Czarnecki; 1999, Longstreet Press Inc, 306pp

If you're in love with our great state's mountains and forest; if you enjoy prospecting for wild trout streams; if you're looking for a great reference for flora and fauna; if you like maps and hiking trails....
This book is definitely for you.

Although not a fishing book, to be honest, I rate this book as equal to my much used Delorme Atlas/Gazzateer as a useful and much used practical reference book for planning my FFing adventures around PA. Essentially, this is a guide to the state's Appalachian Region but really covers most of the state. It is broken into regions such as The Allegheny High Plateau or The Ridge and Valley Province or Long Trails and then breaks these into sub areas that focus on specific state forests, state parks, and public access areas within. If, like me, you're a fan of our state forests and state parks, this is an excellent reference covering camping areas, hiking trails, and - yes - creeks and fishing locations (although they are sparse). Sprinkled into the chapters are nicely illustrated sidebars covering the various trees, plants, and animal life - from insects to big mammals that are indigenous to the different areas. This is a great book to educate oneself about the natural environment of an area you might plan to fish or otherwise visit. It is particualry strong on the northcentral areas of the state.
Highly recommended!

Are the authors the same Czarneckis who ran the famous restaurant in Reading? I can't remember its name. I went there 15+ years ago. It specialized in wild mushrooms that were local. They packed up shortly after and moved to Oregon I think. I think the restaurant had a plain name like "Jack's" or something. I'm sure the last name was Czarnecki. How many could there be?

I don't think so. According to the book's dust cover, Greg Czarnecki works for DEP and Penn State and they reside in Harrisburg.

Not familiar with it so I tossed $5 to an Amazon seller to find out. Thanks for the review.

fishidiot thanks for the suggestion and I will by the book promptly (I have no diea ifthere's a connection but the reading restaurant, btw, was called joe's)

Joe's! That place was great! Thanks k-bob. I'll try to track them down.

Yep .........Joe's in Reading , mushrooms mmmmmmmmm

Back