Prospecting for Trout - Book by Tom Rosenbauer

geebee

geebee

I've just about completed half of this book and can 100% recommend it for new fly fishers or those new to river trout fishing (like my good self).

i have probably 20 or so books on trout fishing methods - brooks, bergman, haig brown, jardine, Fox, Gingrich etc etc which are very good reads - entertaining stories, how to set up your tackle, read the stream, understand trout behaviour, matching the hatch etc

but i think this book stands out as the premise is no hatch is going on and starts from the water type - pool, riffle, run, pocket and tells you how you could fish it.

for me as a starting river trout angler, the hardest thing has been to know what technique and flies to use when there is no hatch and no pocket water on medium and large size creeks or low gradient streams.

i think this book deals with that - and if you live in SEPA, SCPA its a definite plus.

i hope the above is useful to new anglers.

Cheers

Mark.

ps - his flyfishing small streams is excellent too !

Geebee,

I'll +1 to both statements, this book and FF small streams has made huge difference for me. both are great books and certainly should be on everyones book shelf.

Tom's podcast is a great listen in the car to work too.

I have their Reading Trout Streams guide. I think it's an excellent book.

Tom does very informative Podcasts too.

Funny I just ordered the small streams book. I like the feeling of a book and being able to pick it anytime and reread over and over.

This book is killer. Love the section on wet flies.

Back