Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Nymphs I: The Mayflies

I am about halfway through this, though I am admittedly skimming most of the taxonomic descriptions. You'd have to be a real glutton for punishment to read all of that stuff carefully and word-for-word. schweibert's stories are kind of interesting to plow through. In a book called Nymphs, many (most so far) stories deal with dry-fly fishing, esp. fishing with spinner patterns, which I have been finding ironic. Also, he seems to try to make his private-water fishing adventures, including on waters controlled by the evil empire, sound like public-water adventures, though to readers familiar with him, it is not surprising to find him fishing on private waters. As a former English teacher, I find myself amused with some of his pretentious language, such as his repeated use of the word "catholicity." Even though many of the tales are from private preserves like the empire, they can be amusing and instructive, and one can apply their lessons to real fishing on public-access waters. I also find it interesting that he often refers to Vincent Marinaro, though he notes in a footnote that Marinaro would not speak to him after schweibert's 1973 publication of the original Nymphs. And, whether you, as I do, think of him as a sellout in the mold of the becks, humphreys, and kreh, his knowledge of flies is truly encyclopedic. I think it is a true shame that he did sell out to beaver and the evil empire in his later years. So, if you can get the book as cheaply as I did (I got it for about 18 bucks and Nymphs II for less than 12 dollars), you might want to add it/them to the reference section of your fly-fishing library.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 14:17

Re: Nymphs I: The Mayflies

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I've never been able to read much Schweibert, although I'd certainly agree he was knowledgeable and as writers within the genre go, a pretty fair wordsmith.

But I was always put off by his pomposity (at least in print, I understand he was a fine fellow in person) and not having enough room in my vest for a tablecloth, a bottle of Maison Leroy Bourgogne Pinot Noir and a wedge of Camembert, without which I felt under-equipped after reading Ernie.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 19:17

From Eastern PA
Quote:
(I got it for about 18 bucks and Nymphs II for less than 12 dollars),

Ahh, so you did the used Amazon thing too huh? I received both volumes last week and I am powering through them much like you. I did find the volume of info on duns/spinners interesting but I guess that is a very important part of life cycle to get to the discussion of nymphs. It will take me a long time to get through those books, but I think more importantly they will serve as wonderful reference books.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 23:37

From SE PA
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:
I've never been able to read much Schweibert, although I'd certainly agree he was knowledgeable and as writers within the genre go, a pretty fair wordsmith.

But I was always put off by his pomposity (at least in print, I understand he was a fine fellow in person) and not having enough room in my vest for a tablecloth, a bottle of Maison Leroy Bourgogne Pinot Noir and a wedge of Camembert, without which I felt under-equipped after reading Ernie.

I think it was Ernie that got caught by George Harvey one night stashing some large fish that others supplied in the woods. It was at a gathering of some famous flyfishermen. While Ernie was a great fisherman in his own right he was taking no chances with his reputation by arranging for some large fish to be delivered the evening before, stashing them, and putting them on a stringer the next day. George being gracious didn't name the individual in his writings. But others have made the identification.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 10:44

Either that story or another might be true. I think Nick Lyons had the story of spying on an expert at a private club, where the expert got skunked. When asked how many he'd landed, the expert said he'd landed 32. Supposedly, that was schweibert. But, even if he couldn't acknowledge a skunking, he certainly knew a lot about bugs. For me, schweibert was an icon as I learned to fly-fish, but his descent into the evil empire destroyed my admiration for him.
Anyhow, those stories float around about him, just as the stories about humphreys' big fish have floated around about him and it for many years.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 19:50

From SE PA
He certainly has provided some of the character that many would say were the golden days of flyfishing. I have both Nymphs I and II. Someone had to document the details and he served us well.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 20:01

I managed to finish it; my comments are about the same as the original ones. I skimmed most of the tergites and sternites stuff but tried to read all of his anecdotal information. I am starting Nymphs II, though I don't imagine I'll be so gung-ho about completing it in a timely manner. Though, as I said before, I am disappointed that schweibert sold out to the evil empire, I have to be impressed with his vast knowledge of flies and am entertained by his fishing stories, esp the ones I know take place on public water. Ironically, his son Erik noted in the preface to Nymphs II that we "must continue to fight to keep our streams and rivers clean and ACCESSIBLE to the public. (my caps) If we do not, all that is passionately described and loved by Ernest Schweibert will disappear, and fly fishing, indeed all fishing, will be confined to history." I could not have said it any better than that.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 11:36

Is Nymphs II a revised version of Nymphs I?

Or is it more like Nymphs, Part 1 and Part 2?

I have the original Nymphs book from back in the day (1970s).

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:28

From Chester County
I believe "Nymphs I" covers only Mayflies and "Nymphs II" covers stoneflies & caddisflies.

Attach file:

jpg  Nymphs I.jpg (8.97 KB)
53_4c9a4fe5dfc50.jpg 300X300 px

jpg  Nymphs II.jpg (50.68 KB)
53_4c9a4fefccc2b.jpg 500X650 px

Posted on: 2010/9/22 14:46

My old copy, 1973, Winchester Press, is just called Nymphs, and it covers mayflies, caddis, stoneflies, midges, crustaceans, dragonflies, etc.

So, apparently at some later date the book was split into two parts? And were there substantial additions or changes?

Posted on: 2010/9/22 20:16

It is entirely re-done. I have the W. Press version, too, and the revision may as well be considered a completely new project. It is now two volumes: the first is about mayflies, and the second deals with stoneflies, caddisses, and the "lesser" mayflies. New, each volume cost 60 dollars, but you can get them rather cheaply on Amazon, as JDaddy (?) advised us previously. If you go over to Flyfishers, Steve could probably show you a 2-vol set, but you can get them for less than a quarter of the price of new books on the Internet. (Maybe Steve would cut you a deal to get rid of them!) My wife got both vols for me for about 30 dollars total.
Now, having said all that, I think Fauceglia's Mayflies is more practical than the schweibert book, and the Ames book about caddisflies is probably more useful--but even more than I'd ever need. But, if you like fly-fishing stories, the anecdotes are entertaining; and if you're a bug nut, he certainly has just about all the information you could ever, ever, ever want.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 21:58

From Clinton County, Pa.
Ted Fauceglia's "Mayflies" is a great book IMO. The photo's are magnificent! Lots of useful information. This book belongs in the library of all serious flyfishers(is there any other kind)! LOL.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 23:00

Yea, caught no fish- I suck.

Any angler who cannot admit they got skunked has serious character issues.

You can also bet- they are not that much fun to hang around either.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 14:51

From Clinton County, Pa.
Ditto! I don't care how good a flyfisher you are you WILL get skunked from time to time. That's why they call it fishing and not catching! LOL.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 15:52

I finished what I am going to read of Nymphs II last night. I tried to read all the anecdotal stuff and the general fly information. But, I didn't even skim the detailed info in this volume; I skipped most of it. What do the kids say now -- TMI? I think that's what the two volumes have: TMI. Having said that, I do wish Fauceglia would put out a book about caddisflies and stoneflies in a manner similar to his Mayflies.
Anyhow, if you decide to work your way through the schweibert books, be aware that if you read everything, it'll be like taking an advanced entomology course, at least in this 61-yr-old's opinion, and you'll have to get used to schweibert's manipulation of language. For me, they were worth the 30 dollars I paid for them, but they certainly would not have been worth the $120 original price. Perhaps reading/skimming them was good practice for my winter reading "project": War and Peace!

Posted on: 2010/9/29 11:18

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com