Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Nymphs I: The Mayflies

From Pittsburgh
Speaking of a war and peace comparison, I have Schweiberts two volume set "Trout". I got it for $20 as a promotion for joining TU back in the '80's.
But I've never been able to bring myself to read the whole thing because of it's length, and hoity - toity style.
I'm sure that there's plenty of good info in it though, if and when I ever get around to doing the whole thing.
Have any of you guys ever read it cover to cover?

Posted on: 2010/9/29 12:58

Yes, a long time ago. For me, it read better than Nymphs I & II. When/if you tackle it, take a section at a time, then go to something else, go back to it, etc. till you're done. I do not think I'd read the entire thing again: kind of like The Bible. I've read it twice cover to cover, but I never plan to do that again. Anyhow, schweibert has lots to say in a professorial tone -- after all, I guess that's what he was -- even if much of what he writes about takes place on private water.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 17:35

From Pittsburgh
A buddy of mine once got to see Schweibert at a book signing. It was held at a fly shop in the center part of the state I believe.
He said that he demonstrated how to tie a fly without a vice - just holding the hook in his hand
RRT I bet you're not even old enough to know how to do that. Or are you?

Posted on: 2010/9/30 8:54

Oh, I'm certainly old enough -- but not a good enough tier to tie w/o a vise. I've never tried and, truthfully, have never seen anyone else do it. I did watch Walt Dettee tie without a bobbin one time, but I wouldn't want to do that either.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 10:35

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I learned to tie without a bobbin when I was 11 and tied that way until I was in my mid-20's or so.

It's why to this day I still half hitch all my fly heads and never learned to whip finish.

It was old man Herter's fault. In one of his books, somewhere in between where he was saying that it’s a little-known fact that the Virgin Mary was fond of creamed spinach and that Sauerbraten was invented by Charlemagne, he suggested a bobbin was a waste of money, no veteran tyers used them, opting instead to cut a length of thread first and then half hitch to hold it in place at various states along the way to the completion of the fly. Then always finish the head with half hitches. Everybody who is anybody does that.

That's what he told me to do.

So, here I am, 58 years old, tying for 47 years and can't make a whip finish knot..

Demented old creep (Herter, not me. At least not yet..).

Posted on: 2010/10/14 13:20

I didn't read what Herter wrote till after I had bought tools from his catalogue--including whip finishers. I can use my old Herter's whip finishers, but I can't use the new ones. While trying to teach my granddaughter to tie, I can't get her to use the whip finisher at all, and she is is half-hitching the heads of her flies at present...probably b/c she doesn't have a very good fly-tying teacher.
rlp -- I'm almost 61 now, but I didn't start tying till I was 18, so you've been tying a couple years longer than I have, you "old fart"! (I really like being able to call someone else that!) Take care.
rich

Posted on: 2010/10/14 15:39

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com