« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: New Fishing Video

From State College
Slingerflyrods=New Zeus.

Posted on: 7/27 0:27

The feedback in the thread on the video and OP:

Positive:
1) Very good scenic overlook photo (I agree.)
2) Kudos on calling DEP on the gas leak.

Critical:
1) Obtrusive ads
2) Shaky video in places
3) Music choice
4) More fishing/fish content

All four of the critical points are constructive criticism. They all provide useful information that could be used to improve future videos.

It's a natural human instinct to respond negatively to critical feedback.

But, after thing settle down a little take look back at those 4 points, provided by readers here on the forum.

All 4 points are solid stuff to consider when making future videos. If you showed the video to video professionals, it's very likely they would make the same 4 points.

And the pros would also probably give a thumbs up on the scenic overlook photography. Very nice shot. It shows people what the forested landscape of NCPA actually looks like.

Posted on: 7/27 1:22

From York, PA
Nothing wrong with this video at all. My opinion of course. Absolutely love the closing scene.

Posted on: 7/27 2:16

From SE Pa
I found the video to be a commercial. So much so that I got up and made myself a ham sandwich. I am not knocking anybody down I'm simply putting out my ever so humble opinion as requested.

Its ironic that some are being labelled a snob ff because of an honest opinion on a video posted under the guise that honest opinions are welcomed. If the purpose of the video has nothing to do with selling something then the purpose of the video is to show off the Simms, orvis, Ross, and what ever a slinger rod is. On the surface that appears pretty snobbish to me.

Posted on: 7/27 5:44

The video purports to be a video diary of a fishing trip to a named stream. The video duration is 127 seconds, of which approximately 34 seconds is actual stream shots and 37 seconds is advertisements. The remaining 56 seconds of footage is a miscellaneous hodgepodge of scenery.

You got me, you got me to watch your video. I never heard of Slinger rods before the video and now I have; good job getting your product known in an ad disguised as a video diary.

Posted on: 7/27 8:45

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
^ Please do.. its a harsh reality check on you negative nancys here at PAFF.. .. you are so hell bent on focusing on the negative rather than being constructive in your criticism its laughable... you'd rather be DESTRUCTIVE than anything.. but hey.. whatever makes you fit in right?

oh come on, most of the comments were made in jest, mine certainly were.

keep posting your vids, i love em. its made me put a go pro on my xmas list.

Posted on: 7/27 9:15

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

johnstevens5462 wrote:
The video purports to be a video diary of a fishing trip to a named stream. The video duration is 127 seconds, of which approximately 34 seconds is actual stream shots and 37 seconds is advertisements. The remaining 56 seconds of footage is a miscellaneous hodgepodge of scenery.

You got me, you got me to watch your video. I never heard of Slinger rods before the video and now I have; good job getting your product known in an ad disguised as a video diary.

thats a bit harsh John - his previous 3/4 vids were superb with the drone and 100% scenery and casting - as he says in his comments this one was a 'test'

the title tbf could of given us some warning though lol

Posted on: 7/27 9:19

From Cambria County
Do you guys punch a hole in your monitors when you have to watch an ad before a YouTube video? So of you take this forum way too serious.

Posted on: 7/27 10:47

From NE OH
Slinger,

1. Stick to your passion. If you try to advertise what you do someone is going to criticize you. Remember, the fly fishing industry eats it's own first and foremost. And those not in the industry will chew on you after that. You have to decide if it matters enough to you to stick with it.

2. No matter how good your videos are, someone will not like them. Is what it is. Take the criticism and make your product better. Just remember, Orvis, Simms, Ross, etc are not going to sponsor your films based on you putting their names in them. They may sponsor you someday based on the quality of your work. If you are on their pro programs and you are using their deeply discounted gear, you have done your part. Certainly recommend the stuff you like, but don't kiss their butts....you are wasting your time in that respect.

3. As with all things, no matter how negative things get around you, you have to take the high road. Don't get dragged down in the mud with the negative folks. Keep your head up and make your product better every day. If you are still here in 5 years, you can look back and know you did some things right.

Keep on keepin' on!

Posted on: 7/27 11:41

From SE Pa
A question To all the "love thy neighbor" crowd. What if everybody shot a commercial for whatever they are doing or selling and posted it to this forum. Would it bother you then. Again, if that video was not made for some kind of personal gain then I really don't know what it was made for. If its a test then it should not be posted. If it was a test and was posted for critique like it was purported then all feedback should be welcomed and embraced. I don't get the anger and name calling (negative, naysayer, etc) of those who simply do not like the video and stated their opinion of it.

If you only want contrived toe sucking affirmative responses from your friends say so and I'm sure that's what you will get.

Posted on: 7/27 19:46

Webmaster
Some of you guys need to lighten up.

Wow. Really. The guy made a video about fly fishing, shared it on the site and just start smacking him around.

If any of you guys can do better job I would love to see your video. Really, would love to have some of you put herself out there and try it.

Posted on: 7/27 22:22

Edited by dkile on 2014/7/28 6:43:33

Webmaster
Bump

Posted on: 7/28 9:51

From Lancaster, PA
Quote:

Heberly wrote:

Trust me when I tell you, this site has a serious reputation. If I had a penny for every angler I have met on stream who admits they are too nervous to post here because of an abundance of negative people, I might have enough to buy a book on the Trout Streams of Pennsylvania.

I know I know, I should take my own advice, right? This post is for all the people who are afraid to post on this site, too afraid to speak out.

Now, anyone who disagrees with this comment and posts negatively about it, is in my opinion, admitting their own guilt.

Have at it...

Indeed. I'm relatively new to this board and I enjoyed the distinct pleasure of being maligned, stereotyped, skewered, etc. by some of the crowd here. It hasn't kept me from posting...but I'm not posting some of the stuff I might be as I'd rather not deal with the spewing of negativity that I know will follow.

There are some great folks here...but they tend to rarely post, probably for the same reason. I'm always glad to make a connection with the more open and positive folks here, but a lot of that happens on the PM side or off the forum. It would be great to see some of the negativity drain away and a more welcoming and friendly attitude prevail.

Posted on: 7/28 10:00

From Monessen, PA
The site is rather large in patronage and it is a daunting task to police good taste and manners. We have to ask participants to have a thick skin and also try to prune negativity while allowing free expression. It isn't as easy as it might seem. Hopefully enough of us find the balance well-struck to make the site an enjoyable experience overall.

Posted on: 7/28 10:05

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Other side of the tracks
Slinger, I enjoyed the video. I love those small streams.

I can't give any constructive suggestions because I don't have a clue.

The only reason I am even responding is Heberley's post.

Complaining about multiple things while doing the exact same things ... over and over again? That had to be on purpose. I'm thinking that post should get you troll of the week. It's about time someone broke gfen's streak.

Posted on: 7/28 10:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com