Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Must have books
From Altoona, PA
If you tie, I would get the Flytyer's Benchside Reference. It's a huge book illustrating all the tying techniques known to man.

A DVD you should own and watch every spring is Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Flycasting. The book is good too, but I think a DVD is really the right media for flycasting demos.

Among the books, I'll echo some of rrt's picks
A River Runs Through It (the book is so much better than the movie, although I like the movie awfully well too)
The River Why
Anything by Traver
Anything by Gierach (but not too much at anyone time, he starts to sound like he's repeating himself after a while)
Anything by Rosenbauer, but especially Reading Trout Streams and Prospecting for Trout
An Angler's Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations
Landis's Guide to PA Trout Streams (I don't care for Meck or Wolf's) plus the Delorme. However, the FBC website has all that information for free too. You just can't dogear pages.
Harry Murray's Flyfishing for Smallmouth Bass
While we are talking about smallmouth bass, Clouser's Flies is excellent. And having his pattern for drakes is worth the cost of the whole book. Only pattern I've actually done well with on the Penn's Creek Green Drake hatch.
Bluegill Flyfishing and Flies by Roxanne and Terry Wilson. It'll get you fired up to find a pond with gills the size of dinner plates.
Either of Marinaro's books could be considered must haves, but I like In the Ring of the Rise more than A Modern Dry Fly Code.
TroubleShooting the Cast by the late great Jaworski. Don't pick up a long rod without it!
Either Joe Humphrey's Trout Tactics or On the Stream with Joe Humphrey's but not both. And don't take either too seriously or you'll think flyfishing is too hard for mere mortals and give it up entirely.
Production Fly Tying by A.K. Best. I didn't become a faster tyer after reading it, but my flies got a lot better

Posted on: 2008/11/16 15:32

From Delaware Co.
Thanks for the list Pad but I'm not into reading fiction . I mainly looking for books that will help me improve my skills .

Posted on: 2008/11/19 0:26

Fredrick,
Don't dismiss the non-instructional books. The fly-fishing books of stories are some of the most enjoyable reads you will find. I know the ones I have read have helped shape what I enjoy about fly-fishing. Traver, Gierach, Lyons, Howard Walden, and others have penned wonderful fly-fishing tales that you will enjoy over and over again. Once you've read one instructional book, most of the things you find in the next one will be review. Anyhow, I hope you enjoy your reading.
rich

Posted on: 2008/11/19 13:16

From Monessen, PA
Fred, if you prefer non-fiction, this is sure to please you:

Resized Image

Then you can move on to this:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/11/19 14:05

From Bozeman
lol.

That said, I hate Franken.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 14:36

From Delaware Co.
That being said I HATE HIPPIES

Posted on: 2008/11/21 20:49

From South Central PA
# 1 is the Humphreys Trout Tactics revised edition, as already mentioned by a few folks.

# 2 is Dave Whitlock's Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods, though the fly selection is a bit dated now.

Posted on: 2008/11/22 10:21

From State College, PA
There are a couple really excellent 'How To' books mentioned. My favorite that I reread every year or so is "Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout" by Charles Brooks. It is out of print but generally available in paperback. It will shave five years off your learning curve. For insect ID, it is tough to beat "Hatches II" by Caucci and Nastasi. Tom Rosenbauer's "Reading Trout Streams" contains a wealth of info for the novice and intermediate flyfisher. Flytiers have so many great tying books available, but if you can only have one, albeit expensive, "The Flytier's Benchside Reference" is an excellent choice.

Posted on: 2008/12/2 11:18

From Hagerstown, MD
Dave Hughes wrote a good book that I would consider a must have for Pennsylvania Fly Fisherman. It is called: Trout from Small Streams. It has a lot of good info on reading small stream holding areas and it is an overall enjoyable read due to all the fishing stories that Hughes includes. Happy reading and good luck taking care of JR.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 7:31

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I like all the "how to" books... tying, tactics, stream guides, etc.

The one fiction book I have not seen mentioned yet is The Fly Fishingest Gentleman"

Now I absolutly HATE reading. Counting that book, I think I can count all the books I have completed since birth on 1 hand (counting the cat in the hat). I could not put that book down when I got it as a gift. (I will probably read it again this winter) I have since read, Lee Wulf, the Compleat, which is also an excellent read. That guy was amazing!

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in... with inflation, it's still not that much.

(ooo look what ebay came up with)

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Fly-Fishinges ... %3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Cheap one, I recomend you try it!

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Fly- ... n_W0QQprZ1322645QQtgZinfo

Posted on: 2009/1/6 12:44

From Upper Saucon, PA
A great read that I found is Reading Streams by Orvis. It was my first fly fishing book and it helped get me to understand where fish can be found in a variety of water types. To this day I still find myself going back and reviewing sections of the book to keep that where the fish might be knowledge running.

Posted on: 2009/1/19 23:02

From Ohio
Highly reccomend these "travel"/fishing" story books:

Fly Fishing the 41st by James Proesek
River Music by James Babb
In the Company of Rivers by Ed Quigley

As I'm getting ready for peak steelhead seaon here in Ohio, I am enjoying rading "Rod Rage", written by various famous fishing authors on angling manners/etiquette (or lack threreof), edited by Rhea Topping.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 5:46

From Johnstown, PA
For just reading....anything by Geirach, for instruction or information "Fishing the dry fly as a living insect" by Wright and "Tactics on trout" Humphries which is really IMO George Harvey info.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 11:00

From York County
How about "Great Rivers, Great Hatches"
Fellow Penn Stater Greg Hoover has done alot of studies on my favorite Penns Creek and their green drakes.

Mecks "PA steams and their hatches"

I have alot of flyfishing books, but these 2 I seem to pick up these up the most.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 8:07

There are a couple really excellent 'How To' books mentioned. My favorite that I reread every year or so is "Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout" by Charles Brooks.

ditto-great western writer-
Gary Lafontaine[sp]-should be taken with a truckload of salt
Trout-Bergman great for flashback-

Posted on: 2009/4/25 21:11

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com