MUSKY COUNTRY-ZERO TO HERO TRAILER

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

YOU! Guys with some years under your belt... Are all these fancy movies a new fangled thing of the last few years, or has this always been going on?

No, its a serious question.

Also, have the people doing htis generally been of a look where young and edgy collides with outdoorsy hick, or is this some sort of modification of the extreme sprots astethic to fishing?

Also a real question.

Example? Sure!
This guy versus this guy.

Is your sport being invaded by young, hip outdoorsy guys who drive jeeps* and grown rough beards to look impressive, or has it always been this way? In other words, fancy orange tech packs, high tech space reels, and giant purple streamers composed of multiple segments.

The guy who shows up in the still image when I look at Paco's OP is pretty much what I mean, too.

* - any similarity to someone you're thinking i'm making jokes at isn't intentional, i'm willing to lump myself into this group too

Hey I drive a Jeep but then again I'm old and not very hip.

nicely done,
only Miller light at the end does not belong this picture.

I think that wanting to f.f. for muskies is thinking alittle outside the box. And I think that alot of the dryfly purest probably do to. But the meening of f.f. is up to the person thats doing it. Thats the beauty of it. If you think that it all about the delicate presentation of a sz 24 trico to a rising trout on spring creek. Thats cool if thats what your into. The same goes for us guys that like to throw big streamers and fish agressively looking for the big bite. I just dont wanna be looked down apon because of my style of fishing or gear. And if some of the old dyed in the wool gard dont like it....Well I don't care just give me a wide bearth and keep your coments to yourselves.

* I dont' drive a jeep or listen to the "Dead" or Phish.

I think you missed the intent in an attempt to be offended.

I'm just wondering how much longer before Discovery runs SPEY: Life on the Swing and the other Viacom affiliates partner up.

Enviromentalism is hot property right now, young rugged soap stars with rough beards and edgy tattoos fishin', lovin', drinkin' and fightin' could really be something. Judy McGrath, call me, I've got a property to work with you. Pacific Drift: Punk. Fly. Fight. I think my former choice is better.

Still curious if this is just evolution or a definite movement, especially because I appear to be a superficial portion of said movement. Not sure if jam bands count, though. I don't think they're edgy enough to matter anymore. Will have to consult BWTF for assistance.

Hell, I was just saying that in the first 10 seconds the dude said musky fishing was as good as any sex you'll ever have.

jdaddy wrote:
Hell, I was just saying that in the first 10 seconds the dude said musky fishing was as good as any sex you'll ever have.

He must not be doing it right.

Gfen, I didnt wan to come acrossed as offended. I just didn't want to be labeled or lumped into a group. And I do see a swing of the ads and marketing of compaines. Look at orvis dumping there tradmark green color this yr. for more fishpond style of colors.
I say if the companies have to start having to apealing to the monster energy drink crowd so be it. If it keeps intrest in this sport and drawing in new anglers I see no problems. Just look at some of the Whistler B.C. spey guys they look like rejects from the X games. And I think some of the older guys see this as a little disturbing and not traditional looking and are put off by it. But if it keeps our sport and it's issue that threatin the fish in the public spot light even if it over comercialized so be it.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
And I do see a swing of the ads and marketing of compaines. Look at orvis dumping there tradmark green color this yr. for more fishpond style of colors.

Good catch, and a perfect example of the sort of swing.

Just look at some of the Whistler B.C. spey guys they look like rejects from the X games. And I think some of the older guys see this as a little disturbing and not traditional looking and are put off by it.

Again, definatly right to my example. So, to reiterate the question, framed by your answer: There is a definate shift in the way things are being sold (if not a change in actual demographics) to the Monster Energy Drink crowd?

Bears interest to watch what I see on the streams this year. I know alot of people are bemoaning the aging of fly fishing's demographics, but based on popular media, I'm not sure I see eye to eye with that line of though.

There is a certain aging of a part of the flyfishing mass. But at the opposite end of the arguement, when I go down to the fly shop on sat. and there are 5 to 10 kids down at the store tying. And thats good to see. I think that has something to do with a marketing strategies and parental involvment in the sport.

Even if the youngins look like Justin Bieber.

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Even if the youngins look like Justin Bieber.

Don't worry, when the new Aaron Spelling show Bozeman 59715 hits the airwaves, we'll take care of that. They'll all have their proper scruffy beards.

It'll be awesome.

gfen, you've outlined my observations very well. I too fit many different demographics and may be part of the "trend".

I grew up a blue collar guy fishing the mountains of PA. The good fishermen weren't the guys after the biggest fish and getting all technical, travelling all over the dang place, trying to get out of the box. They were, quite simply, the guys who could outfish you if you fished with them at the same place and time. They fished with simple and cheap equipment like everyone else.

The new generation of fly fishermen are edgy yuppies. This is the kayak, rock climbing crowd, not the old hunting/fishing/trapping hillbilly/blue collar crowd. The equipment is much more expensive, to the point where its almost a little embarrassing that one of my favorite rods is a Cortland GRX, and people got made fun of for wearing $20 rubber hippers (which is very normal IMO). You're a nobody if you don't have the best equipment, have travelled all over the state if not world to fish, and have a blog to talk about it. Everyone's saying you need 8x tippet and size 32 midges to catch fish, etc. It's a little out of hand.

That said, here I am saying this, and I'm a guy who may have grown up in a small blue collar steel town, but has since got an advanced degree, moved all over the state and still travel to fish various areas, now in a white collar job and moved to the suburbs, gathered some expensive stuff, and kind of found a niche within the larger group of fishermen. My own personal trend somewhat mirrors that of the industry. I think the blue collar demographic has essentially died, it's not specific to the FF industry. Nonetheless, I still identify more with the old mountain hermit than the edgy yuppy, even if I have to admit I'm an edgy yuppie.

The casting director of the Bozeman 59715 show . Notice the aged SAGE hat and the epic beard. I auditioned for the show but my goatee and sideburn arnt fish bum enuff.

kispiox%20steelhead.jpg

1000 CASTS.

pcray1231 wrote:
gfen, you've outlined my observations very well. I too fit many different demographics and may be part of the "trend".

I grew up a blue collar guy fishing the mountains of PA...

And your story presents an entirely different mindset, which is pretty fascinating actually.

Your description of the new breed of fly anglers is spot on, as well. Its just interesting, to me, to witness the way the things seemingly have progressed 'til I jumped in, and the way its gone since then.

It would appear that the marketing which drives the sales of fly fishing equipment has definatly chosen not just a youth orientated bent, but one where a sort of homogenized punk rock yippy lifestyle is celebrated.

Things like Trout Bum Diaries just illustrate it to me, and it seems like there's a race to capture exactly what that puts forth, trying to romanticize things like Gierach's writing into a visual sense, for people who identify with Monster Energy Drink and the Subaru WRX over guys who drink Chockfull of Nuts and drove Travelalls.

Scripted Reality for the blog generation.

pcray1231 wrote:
My own personal trend somewhat mirrors that of the industry. I think the blue collar demographic has essentially died, it's not specific to the FF industry. Nonetheless, I still identify more with the old mountain hermit than the edgy yuppy, even if I have to admit I'm an edgy yuppie.

Has it died, or is it quietly fishing in the background, doing what's always been done.. Using the most effective equipment to do what they want to do, whether it means fishing bait on a fly rod or chucking spinners. I think those guys' numbers have decreased as they get caught up and "pick sides" in a battle no one wins, but overall I bet there's as many now as then, they just hide better because they're forced to buy the same sort of high end gear, or are priced out of the market and stick with spinning.

Also, I don't think the fact that you left the sticks, got a fancy degree and smrts and run around bustin' superscience makes you fall into the fauxpunk yippy crowd, just means you used the head you were given for something besides holding up a crash helmet.

Also, I don't think the fact that you left the sticks, got a fancy degree and smrts and run around bustin' superscience makes you fall into the fauxpunk yippy crowd, just means you used the head you were given for something besides holding up a crash helmet.

Well, thanks for that, it makes me feel better. But.... I did buy a Subaru. And I actually like it. Help me........

Haha Wooow, all this from a fly fishing promo on musky. Too much time on your hands?

brianb wrote:
Haha Wooow, all this from a fly fishing promo on musky. Too much time on your hands?

Hey back off, you are just another educated hilljack like Pcray.

Back