Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lost world of Mr Hardy DVD

http://www.trufflepigfilms.com/home.html

I received this DVD about a month ago, and have watched it 3 times.
A great documentary detailing the past of an amazing company and then touching on the present transformation to today. There is great historical footage both fishing and manufacturing and and very cool segment of a salmon fly being dressed with out a vise.
If you have any interest in Hardy or fly fishing history... this is a MUST buy.

Posted on: 2010/10/9 12:27

Re: Lost world of Mr Hardy DVD

Thanks for the post. Being a dinosaur, I have never bought a FF dvd or vcr (except for "the movie"). But, I might have to look for this one.

Posted on: 2010/10/10 18:20

From South Central PA
Good find. I'll have to look for this as a rental some day.

Note the young executive mentioning his sleepless nights as they shifted from "a manufacturing led business to a sales and marketing led business."

I also loved to see the older gent in a suit and tie doing production fly tying.

On the Youtube site, they have some more trailers or extras. The one on bamboo vs. fiberglass in particular is well done.

trufflepig films on Youtube

Posted on: 2010/10/14 17:00

From SEPA
As much as I don't want to spend money on a movie I'llw atch once and never again, this looks really appealing and I'm pretty sure I'm bound to crack on buying it since I'll never see it any other way.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 11:44

From Media Pa
I am going to ask for it for Christmas.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 13:34

From SEPA
And now, back from the dead!

My wife gave me a copy of this. Its quite good. It makes you a little sad, though, to watch some of these guys lament the way it ended.

As someone without much personal history in fishing, but an interest in the past, it was fascinating to see just how on top of the world Hardys was. To hear about their Pall Mall store, the way in which they leveraged so much information at a time when globe trotting wasn't as common is pretty fantastic.

What struck me as interesting is I made my wife, not an outdoorsy girl, watch it with me. SHe said even she understood the movie, and while it dragged on it parts, she understood that these guys were basically telling you: Yes, the modern stuff is just as good or better. Its cheaper, stronger, lighter, and all around better grade... but its not nice. Its no longer hand made, beginning to end.

Sums it up quite well. I want an old Hardy reel even more than before. Watching one of the old directors turning a 1912 Hardy reel, explaining the click check, and just seeing the sheer mechanical brilliance really drives the point home.

To say nothing of the freeagents of the crumbled empire. The rod maker, the reel maker, and the fly dresser all carrying on their traditions.

Also amusing, the classic footage of guys playing salmon in rivers while their gillies do all the real work. Watching these guys horse in magnificent fish, throwing it into a bush and wailing on it with a priest. Some we don't all see every day.

Except Becker up there on the Lehigh. Hah!

Posted on: 2011/2/15 13:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com