Learn from Joe

Thanks, informative and touching at the end particularly.

great video and yes,very touching at the end

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but that was a great video.

Having had the opportunity to be one of his many flyfishing students at Penn State and the chance to fish beside Joe on Spring Creek, that video pretty much sums up what Joe Humphreys is all about. Very enjoyable.

That was well worth every minute of my time that I watched. Great man. Thanks for posting this.

GenCon

That was a great video of one of the very best. I did get a kick out of his high sticking comment. I was fortunate as a young teenager to have a mentor who taught high sticking to me at the Big Bushkill in the 60's. Of course it wasn't called high sticking way back then.

Joe is still active and teaching with the Kinzua Fly Fishing School in Bradford PA.

Great video. I actually was fortunate enough to meet him a couple weeks ago at a banquet in which he went on to tell me and the wife some good fishing stories, really a great guy.

I had the chance to tie flies with Joe at FFP years ago. Very fun and entertaining guy. It's perhaps one of the things I'll be smiling about when I'm sitting in my rocker one day...

Fished next to him at Paradise (on two different occasions) years ago. Took pics of him holding 2 big browns. He then gave me a few of his streamers. I've lost the pics and flies. That sucks.

Nice video of a living icon in the fly fishing world and he definitely contributed so much to the sport and is still doing so. I had the pleasure of meeting Joe for the first time last year. I had the pleasure of being invited to the Fly Tiers Reunion get together at the Seven Springs sporting clays club house in Somerset County Pa in March. I was just absolutely blowed away when I found out I was going to be tying flies right next to him. It was a great evening and a night I won't forget for quite sometime. Very nice guy.

His fly tying class was fun, but the best fishing skill I felt that he demonstrated to our class was that he could easily nymph trout after trout out of some of the muddiest water that Spring Creek had to offer. Since that time I have looked at muddy water as an opportunity for more than just bait fishing. Clearly, many people miss that opportunity because the muddy streams are usually vacant of anglers.

A few years later I was given the work assignment (fun little challenge) of attempting to age his famous Fishing Creek brown trout's scales.

Great video, thanks for posting.

No doubt!
It's so good to see Joe (and Lefty K.) are still out there and still teaching us after all these years. I still nymph fish they way Joe taught me including gathering the coils of fly line in one hand and using the tuck cast etc.

Great video, have a question for everyone. He says he ties an overhand knot into his tippet so weight wont slide down, he follows that up with it will not weaken the line. I had always been told "wind knots" or as one of my guides called them"casting errors" severely weakened the line. I always take my last piece of tippet and make it a foot or less then attach my weight above that. Any thoughts or breaking studies?

Right you are, but you probably are not going to break knotted 3X line on most Pa trout.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on spring creek once too

I have his video about fishing small brushy streams. It's excellent - and really helped with with my excursions on tight brookie streams

"Your most basic skills honed to perfection become your most advanced moves." I always enjoyed that quote.

Before I knew it was called Humpries hole I used to see large trout there, probably 1995-97.

took Joe's and Ed Shenk's weekend class, with my wife, at Allenberry back in the early 1990's. I was amazed at the time to learn how adding or removing weight made the difference between catching fish and not. It was a real fun weekend and came away with a real respect for both of those guys.

Back