Keystone Fly Fishing: The Ultimate Guide to Pennsylvania's Best Waters Paperback – February 1, 2017

D

DanL

Because our book shelves weren't full enough, yet another PA guidebook. This appears to be a collaboration of 8 pretty well known anglers, so should be interesting to see how they pulled this all together....

https://smile.amazon.com/Keystone-Fly-Fishing-Ultimate-Pennsylvanias/dp/1934753459/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479846309&sr=8-1&keywords=keystone+fly+fishing

Nice! Here are the authors listed: by Henry Ramsay (Author), Mike Heck (Author), Len Lichvar (Author), Gary Kell (Author), Dave Rothrock (Author)

Some familiar names ^

I got this book last night and really haven't put it down. I consider what I have read to be very good information.

I agree, it's great. I'm about half way through it. Loved the NW section, some people might complain about some minor spot-burning but that's life.

The way it's put together is very impressive. Even through it's multiple authors, reads very well so Jay Nichols did a great job (assuming he compiled/edited...)

Both recent books are great. I like that Gilmore's book has GPS coords, and I like the extended narrative this one has.

Target.com had this for about $20 bucks, for anyone else that still needs (or I'm sure each author is selling copies directly...)

Author/Commissioner Lichvar at PFBC's January 2017 meeting promoted the book and gave a copy to each of his fellow commissioners. I was aware of it but didn't realize it was 600 pages (and amazingly Lichvar said quite a bit had to be left out).

I have just finished reading the book. It really is an attractive book, with the many colorful photos. I think when the authors were writing about the streams with which they were familiar, they presented accurate, useful information.

However, I am aware of several streams in the book that the authors had to rely on other people to get their information, and in at least several cases this information was inaccurate. One stream was said to have a terrific grannom hatch: This stream has not had a fishable grannom hatch for five years now. It was also noted to have a wonderful hatch of sulphurs, which have declined by 99 to 99.9% recently. (That may not be the fault of the authors, since the book may have been printed before we knew the sulphurs were gone.) Another stream that was listed as having terrific sulphur hatches has not had them for three years now b/c of a manure spill. And, a few pretty decent streams were left out (thank goodness!).

(Of note, several people who post on this forum were mentioned in the book, and they were NOT the ones who presented the inaccurate information.)

If other streams list inaccurate information, then the book might appear to be carelessly gathered.

Having said these things, most of the book is written well and reads easily for a guidebook, and, as I noted, it is really attractive.

I would rate it behind Mike Sajna's now outdated guidebook, on a par with Dwight Landis's book, and would rank it higher than Meck's and Wolf's books.

I think I would rate it with a 3.5 or 4.0 out of 5 because of the inaccuracies I found.

My wife, as usual, found it discounted significantly. If you can get it for 15 or 16 dollars, it is worth the price, IMO.

Do these "authors" really care about the streams in the book?

Money and fame are their motives in case you wondered.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And, a few pretty decent streams were left out (thank goodness!)."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
yep

Fox,

Perhaps you are right about money and fame.

However, I see that PA TU is promoting/selling the book, which makes it appear that some of the profit from the book is designated for PA TU, which would probably be a good thing.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Do these "authors" really care about the streams in the book?

Money and fame are their motives in case you wondered.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And, a few pretty decent streams were left out (thank goodness!)."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
yep

YES, I'M SURE THEY'LL ALL BE FAMOUS VERY SOON. TWEETING WITH THE LIKES OF DJT.

I just picked up a copy of this book and it appears to be extremely useful. However, I have one thing I can't seem to figure out and it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the book. Access points are noted on the maps, some with a yellow A in a black block and some with a black A in a yellow block. What's the difference? Or am I being very dense? It happens. Thx.

Back