In Search of Hemingway's Two Hearted River

Chaz

Chaz

A new book by PA local write, I thoroughly enjoyed it, well researched and a fun read. Jay Day won an award a few years back for a short article in Fly Rod and Reel.
HEre's the link, and enjoy it, it's a must read for Hemingway fans, and those who just like to read about fishing.

In Search of Hemingway's Two HEarted River

Thanks Chaz, I remember the article.

I have to get to Michigan one day, like most nor'easterners I guess it holds some fishing mystique for us, much like Maine woods do for many.

Added to my read list for sure.

Just ordered it. Thanks Chaz!

I was lucky enough to spend a month in Michigan last June. The Two Hearted and Fox Rivers are amazing little gems.

btw - the Complete Angler by James Prosek is a good read in a similar vein i think.

I don't often read books like this but this one sparked my interest. Thanks Chaz!

I just read that book about a month ago. Good read. Not long. It was free on my Kindle for Amazon Prime members too.

Since I never read any of Hemmingway's novels, I was unfamiliar with the "Big Two Hearted River", but now I am aware of where one of my favorite beers got its name . . .

I'm going to be moving to Michigan for the summers-maybe I will find it.

pete41 wrote:
I'm going to be moving to Michigan for the summers...

Seriously?

yeah
met someone with house on lake in Michigan
and one on lake in Vero Beach
invited her to move in here-she said no way she is going to live in a trailer.
Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of bass fishing.

pete41 wrote:
yeah
met someone with house on lake in Michigan
and one on lake in Vero Beach
invited her to move in here-she said no way she is going to live in a trailer.
Looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of bass fishing.

See Jack? That is how wealth should be shared.;-)

yeah butt,I'm worth it. :lol:

I'm glad you found someone, .... you old fart.

CLSports wrote:
I just read that book about a month ago. Good read. Not long. It was free on my Kindle for Amazon Prime members too.

Since I never read any of Hemmingway's novels, I was unfamiliar with the "Big Two Hearted River", but now I am aware of where one of my favorite beers got its name . . .

If you're talking about Bells, I agree! Great beer.

Apropos of nothing, before the arrival of Europeans, Michigan had no brook trout below the Upper Peninisula. The Lower Peninsula did have grayling however.

The part about the brook trout depends on what source you are reading and is likely NOT true.

They they were native to Lake Erie watershed as well as Superior, so why wouldn't they also be in St. Clair and Huron?

Fruthermore, some sources have them as native throughout the great lakes, others (mostly maps) for some reason show Michigan's lower peninsula as not part of their original range when it likely was. For example, the map on the TU website excluded Michigan, but shows that the Canadian side had them. That would be an amazing trick, don't you think? The streams are different on the Michigan side, and they were likely not common, but I'd find it hard to believe there were none.

CLSports wrote:

"The Big Two Hearted River" is a long short story published after Hemingway's death.

FarmerDave wrote:
The part about the brook trout depends on what source you are reading and is likely NOT true.

They they were native to Lake Erie watershed as well as Superior, so why wouldn't they also be in St. Clair and Huron?

Fruthermore, some sources have them as native throughout the great lakes, others (mostly maps) for some reason show Michigan's lower peninsula as not part of their original range when it likely was. For example, the map on the TU website excluded Michigan, but shows that the Canadian side had them. That would be an amazing trick, don't you think? The streams are different on the Michigan side, and they were likely not common, but I'd find it hard to believe there were none.
Dave, Everything I've read is that they just weren't there in the lower penisula, but it would surprise me if they were migrants to some rivers in the Lower Penisula, there were slaters there. Maybe they didn't consider them the same fish.

"The Big Two Hearted River" is a long short story published after Hemingway's death.

Sorry there Chaz. It was published in 1925. He didn't kill himself until 1961.

The Nick Adams Stories were published posthumously in 1972.

Back