Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Haste makes waste or I had a run in, run around, and run down ??

What, what? Oh yea, fishing today as I roll to my left..

God it is so early as I struggle to get myself vertical to get that god awful noise to stop. STOP! Fumble with the clock to shut off the alarm. I have the noisy panic sounding alarm and not the more gentle music kind. Immediate thoughts enter my mind of my lack of prior packing the day before has only lead to less sleep- glorious sleep. Probably could have made some sandwiches too. Looks like a stop a Sheetz is a certainly even after the Dunkin Donuts stop.

Whizzing through Pittsburgh in the predawn hours is most always calm and quite if not expeditious. I am out of the city before I realize the radio is not even turned on. Usually about then it is time to stop for one of the most important rituals of the mature man- the coffee break. The warm to sometimes hot nectar is much anticipated if not sometimes disappointing in it’s quality.

Becoming awake and aware as the light fills the windshield I go through a sometimes paranoid rundown of the fly fishing mental checklist. Fly pole-check, waders check, tackle bag check and the sometimes the overlooked wading boots- check. I truly believe if you have never pulled the car over to search through the trunk to cross something off the mental checklist you might not be a fly fisher. Guess their’s no shame in admitting of having to turn the ship around a time or two to grab the waders off the line in the garage and just accept the 1 hour penalty. To fully come clean though, I must also admit to having to have bought some items that were left off the mental checklist or for some unexplained reason never took the inventory till I was beyond a point of no return. Love those Orvis boots that I have used twice. Ha twice- it was a overnight trip. Are you surprised where you can find fly fishing gear or surprised by the fact it is often not too far off the wagon route?

The morning is a great time for making haste especially when the trip ends at a stream or creek but not before the coffee has manifested itself into a bothersome chore. This normal chore can and has consumed my world when an unexpected accident or construction delay has got my squirming on the brink of disaster. There is not much worse than being delayed from your arrival at the water with one of these unforeseen delays. Oh, the horror.

Many times on one of these mornings when there is little traffic to compare my ship speed with I find myself glancing down and noticing my speed reading 78 mph. Okay easy boy, easy now. Or sometimes it’s the epiphany type when you notice a trooper off to the side of the road and you unconsciously look down and say to your self “Oh, crap.”and pray he is doing paper work or eating breakfast. On those occasions the rest of my travel is at a safer speed after my “wake up call”. Never have gotten a speeding ticket to or fro on a fishing trip to this day but maybe it’s early. (this is the sound of knocking on wood)

God willing my arrival will be blessed with making “good time” and a vacant parking area devoid of other anglers. Wonder if it will be a good day? Of course it will be I am fly fishing

What would you title this short story?

Posted on: 2010/3/15 12:20

Re: Haste makes waste or I had a run in, run around, and run down ??

From Pittsburgh
The Battle Hymn of the Unemployed

Great read Akid...you are really able to capture the "feelings" of fly fishing with your pictures as well as your writing!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 15:37

From Bozeman
I am thinking something more along the lines of "The Commute to Hedonism"

Posted on: 2010/3/15 15:42

From Chester County
Running The Gauntlet To Nirvana

by Paul "the Kid" Acristic

Nice story Kid!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 16:18

From Bozeman
You forgot to mention that you prefer to spend $5 on that bad coffee, Paul.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 16:19

Ha.

Thanks.

I did consider and prefer a more premuim coffee but to stay true to my "trips" those establishments are not open until 6am or later. And even though it says they open at 6am and I found myself waiting 10 additional minutes till the first brew was done. Again, the horror.

My preferred brew runs $2.12 now. If sipping there I would get a small and just get a refill for .50. *Irreguardless of peoples projections I am frugal as all get out.

*I know.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 17:25

From West Chester
i like "Haste makes waste or I had a run in, run around, and run down" as a title... it reminds me of a Radiohead song title.

Posted on: 2010/6/12 11:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com