Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Good-by to Fly Fisherman

Though I think editor Ross Purnell is doing a fairly good job with only 64 pages to work with, I have given up my subscription to Fly Fisherman, as I did Gray's Sporting Journal. I am an avid reader, but since these two magazines use photos from the becks, I cannot in good conscience support them. I guess I should not feel badly about it, but I do, esp. FF. I have subscribed to FF for 40 years, and I am going to miss finding it in the mail a half-dozen times a year. I am afraid that I will next have to abandon AA, which has been regularly using beck pics. Thank goodness for FTJ, The Drake, and, hopefully, FR&R, which did include some stuff from the becks once but that I hope was a one-time mistake.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 16:56

Re: Good-by to Fly Fisherman

From Philadelphia
Sorry if I'm coming late to the party but I've heard the "Beck's" mentioned several times lately in not so flattering terms. What has caused those feelings?

Posted on: 2012/3/1 17:00

From Gettysburg
Fox,
Barry and Cathy Beck are fly fishing photographers/writers and have a business association with the Spring Ridge Club (I don't know the details), a high end private fishing club that is unpopular with many members of our board.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 17:29

From Philadelphia
Thanks for explaining FI

Posted on: 2012/3/1 17:35

From Pittsburgh
I'm pretty much letting all of my subscriptions lapse. After awhile it all starts to repeat.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 18:39

the becks also like to take pictures of of fat pellet fed fish and pass it off as something else

yeah FF is horrific

Posted on: 2012/3/1 20:54

From Bozeman
I let them all lapse. Internet for content, fly fishing catalogs and books for the can, and the occasional copy of the Drake before a flight or boring event.

I'm not missing a thing.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 12:59

From Pittsburgh
Just got the april/may issue the other day.
And made it a point to check the captions on every fishing picture.
Nothing from the Becks in this issue.
It had a really nice article on midges - with some fantastic shots of trout in the process of eating them from the surface.
And in the editorial near the front, it is pointed out how these pictures were all taken on public water.
I'm wondering if the've gotten lots of negative feedback about the Becks, and are doing something about it?

Posted on: 2012/3/3 8:24

From Gettysburg
DFG,
+1 on the pics of trout rising to midges. The article was decent too but the pics were excellent.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 8:35

From Dallastown, PA
Maybe they heard about Rich's hunger strike. He fixed them!

Posted on: 2012/3/3 10:04

Don't kid yourselves. The becks' names are still on the magazine's masthead. They'll no doubt be back. As I told editor R. Purnell, if I ever discover that the becks are no longer affiliated with FF and their pics are not being used, I will enthusiastically renew my subscription. But, I'm certainly not counting on it. I'll manage with FTJ, The Drake, and R&R (if it doesn't use any more beck stuff). I imagine my subscription to AA is going down the tubes when it runs out in August, since they use a lot of beck photos. I'll miss AA even more than FF, since AA is presently my favorite (excluding beck pics) of the ff mags I get.

Posted on: 2012/3/3 16:34

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

rrt wrote:
Though I think editor Ross Purnell is doing a fairly good job with only 64 pages to work with, I have given up my subscription to Fly Fisherman, as I did Gray's Sporting Journal. I am an avid reader, but since these two magazines use photos from the becks, I cannot in good conscience support them. I guess I should not feel badly about it, but I do, esp. FF. I have subscribed to FF for 40 years, and I am going to miss finding it in the mail a half-dozen times a year. I am afraid that I will next have to abandon AA, which has been regularly using beck pics. Thank goodness for FTJ, The Drake, and, hopefully, FR&R, which did include some stuff from the becks once but that I hope was a one-time mistake.

Get over it. What pisses you off about their photographs?

Posted on: 2012/3/4 16:55

Oh, Brad from Potter, please read FishIdiot's post about the becks. No, I won't get over it. The becks are associated with this group that buys privately owned but publicly accessible water and then posts it for the exclusive use of its wealthy members and clients. I believe this is a battle we must fight. If you are a young guy, it is probably more important for the future of your fishing than it is of mine, though I guess in Potter Co. you have all the public water you need. Anyhow, that is what "pisses me off," and, once again, I won't get over it. And, if I hadn't tried to become the kinder, gentler rrt on this board, I might have reacted a little more forcefully to your nasty-tone post.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 19:13

From NC PA Mountains
No nasty tone here...just wonder why you are blasting the becks? That's all. Not too young here..56 now. I'm curious...how much water have they been envolved with? I'm not trolling or anything just trying to find out what they did?

P.S. Flyfisherman sucks by the way, as do most publications. Although I do enjoy Gray's!

Posted on: 2012/3/4 19:32

From NE PA
I know the Becks all to well. There's a lot more to why many people don't have much nice to say about them, not just what has been said here... that's all I will say about it.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 19:46

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com