George Harvey Fly Tying Course Guide - PSU c.1970

CLSports

CLSports

I came across a Fly Tying Course Guide written by George Harvey named "A Simplified Course in Fly Tying" at a used book store this past weekend. It appears to have been issued for a fly tying course at Penn State University c.1970 and sponsored by the PA Fish & Boat Commission.

I paid a very minimal price for it since I thought it was interesting. I doubt it has much value, but I liked it because it was a local fly fishing memento.

Does anyone have any info on this manual or wish to share any stories about it? Anyone take this course?

Course Guide Pic

Sounds like a neat find.
I never took the course when I was at PSU. At the time I felt I was too advanced for the course - now older and a good bit more humble I wished I'd taken it. I did nevertheless get to spend a lot of time learning from Joe Humphreys and still regard myself as having learned nymph fishing from Joe.

I cursed the PE requirement when I was an undergrad at PSU ~ if only I had been into fly fishing and know that I was right in the center of it all!

As a Lock Haven grad,I never took the course @ Penn State, but Dan Shields discusses it in detail in his book about George Harvey. If you're talking about an 8X11" manual, I have two copies I picked up somewhere. Much of this information in the manual appears later in a book about fly-fishing that Harvey wrote.

Back