Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Fly fishing programs on TV

From Dauphin PA
Anyone watch "wild on the fly". I really like that show but it's not realistic for me to ever get to the exotic locations they fish.

I enjoyed TU's show more when Frank was the host. How about the show with Mike Pawleski (spelling). That's also decent.

Posted on: 2012/11/1 9:45

From South Central,PA
The TU host, Jed Something, is good but I think he gets a little too "whoa DUDE!, Bro!, Sick!, Swwwweeet!, etc..." at times!

Posted on: 2012/11/1 14:22

From Pittsburgh
I don't know about you guys, but the LAST thing I want is a fly fishing show about my home waters. It is bad enough we have to fight elbow to elbow with one another at times for good water and a bit of solitude.

I don't need some joker from god knows where making it even harder! I am more than content to watch people fish in places far far away and hopefully learn a trick or two in the process!

Even when I blog about things, I almost never point out where I was fishing. The web or TV for that matter can absolutely torch a perfectly good fishing spot.

....IMHO

Posted on: 2012/11/1 15:56

From Lansdale
here we go......

Posted on: 2012/11/1 16:25

From Johnstown, PA
PITTFLYGUY...........ya took the woids right outtamy mouth. AMEN and God bless you brother.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 8:25

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

Pittflyguy wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but the LAST thing I want is a fly fishing show about my home waters. It is bad enough we have to fight elbow to elbow with one another at times for good water and a bit of solitude.

I don't need some joker from god knows where making it even harder! I am more than content to watch people fish in places far far away and hopefully learn a trick or two in the process!

Even when I blog about things, I almost never point out where I was fishing. The web or TV for that matter can absolutely torch a perfectly good fishing spot.

....IMHO

And where do you go if you are fishing elbow to elbow? The only place I found it like that was Salmon River, NY or opening day. Other than that the waters are pretty quiet with maybe a few souls around.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 11:11
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Clinton County, Pa.
I don't know about you fellas but the last thing I want to do is watch someone else catch trout on a TV program. I don't watch them.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 11:34

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Pitt - I don't think you have to worry about it being eblow to elbow on the Mon. Given your outlook, I assume you limit your fishing to Allegheny County then? Or maybe at the most SW PA? Otherwise that'd make you the joker on someone else's home water. I didn't know there was a naturally reproducing population of Snook in SW PA.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 11:44

From Dauphin PA
Screw TV shows... let's start a spot burning fight!!!!

Posted on: 2012/11/2 13:09

From Pittsburgh
Swattie,

I used the term "home waters" loosely. My last two trips to Erie have been nothing short of a CF. Go any weekend on some of our tailwaters and you will find guys stacked up in many of the popular holes. Same goes for many of our spring creeks in central PA.

I fish for all kinds of fish in all kinds of water. My brown lining ventures are for the most part unencumbered by others which is fine by me. Unfortunately, trout and chrome are quite a bit more "crowded" to say the least.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 14:23

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Screw TV shows... let's start a spot burning fight!!!!

Posted on: 2012/11/2 15:02

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Pitt – Agreed “home waters” can be a bit of a moving target depending on who you ask. For me, I’d define my “home waters” as anything I fish more than twice a year…anything less than that and I’m just a visitor. For me this pretty much is limited to Lebanon, Lancaster, Dauphin, Berks, and maybe the southern part of Schuylkill County. I suppose you could throw in the Michaux SF area too, since it’s close to my inlaws and I fish that area when I’m visiting them. That said there are many areas I travel to and fish one or two times a year (Poconos, NC PA, State College area, Delaware coast)…I enjoy that variety, and try to be respectful that I’m on someone else’s home turf when I’m there. I’ve seen your blog (which is excellent BTW), and could tell you fish for all kinds of fish, all over the place. I think part of what that entails is that if you enjoy that sort of thing…fishing other places, you gotta be okay with guys not from your neck of the woods traveling to fish something new and/or different to them too. Reciprocity. Your first post just kinda struck the wrong chord with me, and after rereading my post now, my response probably wasn’t the most constructive way I could have approached things. My bad for that, and no offense intended.

Back to the TV shows…I wouldn’t be opposed to guys on any of these national shows filming a Brookie expedition in PA. I think that kind of fishing is very rewarding and a foreign concept to a lot of people. A lot of times shows like this will give you a general idea of where they are, but not name the stream, or section of stream in particular. For instance…”the Snake River in Wyoming” or “a small stream in the Pennsylvania mountains” doesn’t tell you a whole heck of a lot in terms of specific locations, but gives you enough to get the general idea of where the kind of fishing being demonstrated can be found. I think most of the viewers of a FF designated show are pretty similar in mindset to the crew of guys you’ll find here…C&R, respect the resource, sportsmanlike, etc. Crowds are crowds…if they’re fishin’ here, they’re not fishin’ somewhere else.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 15:26

From Perkasie PA
Curtis Fleming annoys the hell out of me. As does Conway Bowman (is his show still even on the air?).

I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show. It's not just huge fish shots the whole time. It's constant teaching.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 10:52

From Christiana, Delaware
Quote:

dubthethorax wrote:
Curtis Fleming annoys the hell out of me. As does Conway Bowman (is his show still even on the air?).

I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show. It's not just huge fish shots the whole time. It's constant teaching.

What channel is the Orvis show on? I've never seen it.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 12:46

From Richfield, PA
Quote:

What channel is the Orvis show on? I've never seen it.
Thanks.

Orvis show is on WFN.

Posted on: 2012/11/5 14:56
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com