Fly fishing programs on TV

P

PennypackFlyer

I hope it is not just me that has this feeling....
I am an avid flyfisherman and enjoy watching flyfishing on TV...I have learned alot from the shows. The one aspect that I want to touch base with is "Why we don't see programs concerning PA Flyfishing/fishing on TV?" I could be wrong - but all I see are the ones that are to far away places where you have to spend an arm and a leg in order to have the adventure. I know that PA has some of the finest trout rivers ever found. We have lakes and rivers with tons of Bass, Muskies, trout, etc waiting to be caught. But yet, any TV coverage?
Maybe the answer is that PA Flyfishing TV programs are viewed in other states in order to bring tourism monies to PA!

"WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET" (Thoughts)

Because those shows are sponserned by big-named companies and outfitters and they are looking to draw in cunsumers that have deep pockets.
Just watch the advertisements and sponsers section at the beginning or end of the show. They are typically companies like Simms or Orvis.
Also the guides that "host" these trips are usually large outfits.

Plus exotic locations allure views to have big dreams.

Although, there are occassionaly more local fishing trips on these shows.

I've seen a few shows with PA flyfishing - TU's "on the rise" with Frank Smethurst for trout , and Familiar Waters with NFL pro Mike Palawski on Elk creek midwinter for steel, "wild on the fly" had walt geryk up at the DSR on the Salmon River in NY....

there are a few shows on versus, outdoor channel, sportsman's channel. Curtis Fleming is another one who has been on, fishing the spring creeks i think. which i saw the Letort on a show just a few months back.

It is a surprise though that they don't have a weekly regional show like New England's "On The Water". its not like they'd be short of subject matter.

The new TU On the Rise host had a show where he fished Big Spring, YB, and the Letort this past season. The other one with Frnank Smethurst was in the Pine, Slate Creek area.

The first season of On the Rise Frank fished the Grand and it's tribs in Ohio.

I forget what show it was exactly, but there was another show that was held on Spring Creek. Fly Fishing the World maybe?

Curtis Flemming's Fly Fishing Chronicles is taking a few of the guys from vwangler.com board out to film a musky trip in WV this weekend. The show will be aired in Feburary.

I did one several years ago on Delaware Valley Outdoors. It was based on the SE. region of the state fly fishing.

The Fly Fishing Chronicles show is actually in honor of the slain police office Eric Workman who was an active member of wvangler.com and a huge muskie fisherman.

What, big outdoors shows aren't itching to do an episode with somebody hiking 15 miles up a freestone creek to catch 7" natives!?

Who ya tryin' to kid Squatch...most of them only run 4 or 5 inches.

Curtis Flemming's Fly Fishing Chronicles is taking a few of the guys from vwangler.com board out to film a musky trip in WV this weekend. The show will be aired in Feburary.

Chronicles has done a few episodes on Pa. FF tv shows are what got me interested in the sport.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
What, big outdoors shows aren't itching to do an episode with somebody hiking 15 miles up a freestone creek to catch 7" natives!?

We'll just film it ourselves. How cool would it be to have video of a Squatch catching a brook trout ;-)

PatrickC wrote:
We'll just film it ourselves. How cool would it be to have video of a Squatch catching a brook trout ;-)

I'll volunteer to bring the Jack Links and throw a Chub at him! :-D

Uh holy crap! We totally SHOULD film this (minus the chubs...)

If we each have a hand held camera, we could edit the footage

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Uh holy crap! We totally SHOULD film this (minus the chubs...)

If we each have a hand held camera, we could edit the footage

It'll come out like the Blair Witch Project with a sasquatch...

I was thinking that....tried to come up w/ a clever name including "brook trout", but came up wanting.

This sounds like it would be fun. When can we get started?

Even if he does stuff to benefit charity, Curtis is the wort host on tv. I have nightmares we he says.... River bum dot com.

krayfish wrote:
Even if he does stuff to benefit charity, Curtis is the wort host on tv. I have nightmares we he says.... River bum dot com.

Thank you!

Back