Fly books for kindle

Fredrick

Fredrick

Anyone buying any fly fishing books for their kindle's i'm curious how the quality and selection is ?

I was wondering that too.

i have a nook.....pretty much all of geirichs books are available if you look online you can see whats available as an e book then search it on your kindle. A lot of orvis' books are available too but its only text with no pictures.

Even though I have a nook and use it often I still enjoy owning the book, especially guide books or coffee table books or anything with illustrations.

I had never thought to look for fly fishing books on the kindle ... if you put fly fishing in the kindle search field, there are over 300 connected books... Many on tying, knots, travel, overall ff guidebooks but some novels and autobiographies, etc.. also some cheap digital only ones, including one on small streams... Hmmmmm...

I have the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide and the Fly Fisher's Playbook on my Kindle(s)

I own both the regular Kindle and the Kindle Fire.

For text and bookmarking, the Kindles are great. The illustrations in the Orvis book are another story. They are imbedded in the book but you cannot enlarge them in the same manner you can other images on the Fire. Not sure about enlargement on the standard Kindle.

I was doubtful about e readers at first but I own a Nook, the standard Kindle and the Kindle Fire. For just reading, the Nook and Kindle each have their own advantages with the edge going to the Kindle.
For an all purpose device, I like the Fire. Note that it is significantly heavier than the standard Kindle and has much shorter battery life.

Hope this helps

Dave

I've got a nook and I have found books, there's a bunch of Geirlach's books available. Some of the more famous fly fishing books, but I didn't count the number. Above all that there's a large body of historic fishing and fly fishing books available for free, which is always a good thing. As I said in another thread I recently read a book about fishing in Scotland, which included fishing the Tweed River. It was free. Also very good. Andrew Lang in his day was a very famous Scottish writer, editor, printer, and historian. He also wrote a book about the Royal Stuarts, which I haven't read, but I have. It is a technology that is just coming into its own.
There are no books about FFing in PA available.

I know departure pub is moving books over

The Alaska chronicles by miles nolte should be out know

I think a lot depends on what you are looking for. The classics, not so much. Newer non-fiction is becoming more widely available.

I've been having some fun reading fictional novels based around fly fishing. "Pale Morning Done" by Jeff Hull was pretty entertaining, as was "Holding Lies" by John Larison. I haven't gotten around to reading "The Royal Wulff Murders" by Keith McCafferty, but its on the list.

I love the traditional literature, but this fictional stuff is a nice diversion every once in a while.

I have Yellowstone's Backcountry Cutthroats for Kindle from Amazon on my Windows phone.

If you put trout, brook trout, trout streams, pennsylvania trout, etc in the kindle store, there are some relevant books. You will not be able to find every book that exists in paper on fly fishing, but there are some interesting titles and also some digital only books that don't exist in paper. the books maybe cheaper on kindle but of course you may miss great color pictures.

Interesting book titles come up if you search for "nymph"...

i just search for "fly tying" or "fly fishing"

I use the Kindle App on my iPad. Have the Nook app as well and iBooks. I think Amazon has a much better selection of fly fishing books than either B&N or Apple.

Most of the books I have read so far have been literary such as Geirach, Miles Nolte and Gallgian. Currently I am reading Barry Reynolds first pike book. I have downloaded samples of many many books including several tying books including Clouser's Flies and Charlie's Fly Box.

My favorite aspect is that I can have all this information with me at all times without lugging hundreds of pounds of books.

For fly tying books i think you would want one of the color Kindles at the very minimum.

I agree on the "color would be better" point. I bought the first black and white kindle right when it came out, and have enjoyed it for a few years, but if i were jumping now w/ an interest in fishing books I would get a color kindle fire

I have a Kindle Fire, but I have not bought any books on there that were more than just novels.

If I wanted to read or reference a book with heavy graphics and images I would lean towards just buying a hardcopy.

The Kindle Fire has a color display, but the way it formats the pages to fit the screen might be a pain the a$$ if you to look at larger books that are heavy with images.

Does anyone know if there is a way to share books between users?

Books can be loaned once for 14 days, not all books are lend-able.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

Color is good, but I have yet to find any books that have photos. It's all about download speeds.

Anyone know if out of print books are available such as travers corners or some of the harry middleton books?
Sorry I'm not much of a "techie" or I'd try to search myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eBooks/b/ref=sa_menu_kbo3?ie=UTF8&node=1286228011

Follow that link, type the author or book name in the search field at the top of the screen

I bit and bought Ed Engle's "Fishing Small Flies" after reading the hardcopy of "Tying Small Flies". I was pleased with the results. Some of the illustrations were slightly out of sync with the text, but being B&W they worked and were surprisingly clear. I believe I would be disappointed with the Kindle edition of "Fishing Small Flies", which has MANY pictures and illustrations.

As far as "lending" Kindle books... between the wife and I we have at least 100 books. New, old, etc. NOT ONE of them is lendable. fergetaboutit. We just swap Kindles for a time.

I also bought the Google book, Wilderness Press's "Fishing Colorado". What it amounts to is a large PDF file that is not searchable. I may do the same for my copy of the same publisher for "Pennsylvania" by Wolf. Given our 5th wheel has limited cargo capacity it may be best to have some of these reference books in electrons rather than ink. The Google books are only $8, pretty good value. You can also read them on any device that connects to the internet.

Cheers,
RBT

Back