Fly-Fishing the 41st by James Prosek

Acristickid

Acristickid

Around the world on the 41st Parallel was recommended to me by a fellow board member.

I enjoyed the book as it was a little different than most that I have read. Lots of travel stories,love interest,local peoples and some fishing mixed in. I liked it as something alittle different than the norm.

I thought Prosek's ego got away with him on that one. It seemed he was trying to build a reputation as lady's man or something. I appreciate he's young but sheesh.

I also didn't get the importance of the trip from his writing. His adventures seemed disconnected from one another. He had no personal journey he was following, such as you hope for in a good travel memoir (such as Blue Highways or A Walk in the Woods).

Though I haven't read this one yet, everything Pad has said has been told to me by those who have read it. Would still like to read it someday, but got a couple of others higher on the list.

JH

ffj- what books you got lined up?

I just received my next one "The Art of Chalk Stream Fishing"- by C.F. Walker

On Prosek- I did'nt mind his story at all. I just had to get over that the silver spooner went to Yale and was able to trapse over Europe and Asia for a good long time. Big bank account there.

acristickid wrote:
ffj- what books you got lined up?

I just received my next one "The Art of Chalk Stream Fishing"- by C.F. Walker

On Prosek- I did'nt mind his story at all. I just had to get over that the silver spooner went to Yale and was able to trapse over Europe and Asia for a good long time. Big bank account there.

Actually, he comes from a broken family of meager means. Read Jim and Me for his early life. Evidently a WCO (or the Connecticut equivalent) saved him. I think he got to Yale on a scholarship. Not sure how he financed the trip around the world, but he has had a couple good sellers and a decent art career since. So as much as I am free to disparage the guy, he does seem to have lifted himself up by his bootstraps (thanks to a hand up from Jim).

I met Mr. Prosek at the Anglers Club of Philadelphia annual dinner in 2006. He was the guest speaker that evening. After his interesting presentation about his global fly fishing travels, he mingled, and when I was introduced to him as "a fellow author and artist" of the "good book" Philadelphia on the Fly, I offered him my hand, but he kind of looked away, distracted, which might explain why he shook only the tip of my index finger before turning to a group of members holding copies of his books fior him to sign.

;-)

Sorry cast aspersions on Prosek. Saw that he is from Stamford CT. which is about as a high brow a community as you could get - cept maybe next door Greenwich.

a kid,

First I want to finish Fools Paradise, then I going to find and read "The Longest Silence". This one has been at the top of my list for a few years, but always seem to get sidetracked by a new release.

JH

PS.. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been busy.

ffj- I can lend you a copy of The Longest Silence on Friday at the stream clean up if you want. It is just about my favorite.

Thanks for the offer, but pretty sure it will be one that'll I will own in the next few weeks.

JH

PS.. Didn't want your name to stay up on the there too long.. :-D

I am currently reading this book and am disappointed so far - don't think I'll make it all the way through. Prosek is a good writer and I think his artwork has improved dramatically since his first trout book. I was interested in seeing how he integrates artwork into narrative but this book is heavy with narrative and short on art (although what is depicted is are v. good watercolors).
Overall, however, this book is a long winded and wordy account of his fishing journey to exotic places and the folks he met there.
Just doesn't appeal to me.

Back