Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Fly Fishing Blogs

From Ephrata, PA
Sorry if this isn't appropriate. I'm not lookin' for advertised, sponsored sites that would take away from this site, just wondering what members have blogs about their fly fishing adventures?

Posted on: 2012/12/18 8:05

Re: Fly Fishing Blogs
From Monessen, PA
Nothing inappropriate, since you asked. The kinds of responses to you, however, should be demure, particularly if people recommend themselves.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 8:53

From Ephrata, PA
I already know about Turkey's blog, and Becker's, and Addicted to Vice, Fiberglass Manifesto, etc., wondering who else might be writing their fly fishing musings.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 9:08

From Perkasie PA
www.dubthethorax.blogspot.com

Also, Gaeron has a nice blog.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 9:38

From Ephrata, PA
Thanks Dub. I'll add your site to my links!

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:10

From LV
What's a blog?

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:18

From Lancaster Co.
Squatch - there are a bunch of blogs listed in the Links section of the site. I check several of them out from time to time. There are some nice ones. There are some that haven't had new content added in some time.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:24

From Gettysburg
The appeal to having a hobbyist's blog is understandable.....but not for me (at least at this point in my life).
I do have a website related to FFing and post various material on blogs owned by others......but a traditional blog of my own is too much work and, I fear, wouldn't be seen by hardly anyone.

Moreover, with all that's offered with Paff......why would I want a personal FFing blog anyway?
There's a ready made audience here; I can post pics of flies, tutorials, and fishing reports and enjoy the feedback and camaraderie that comes with it. Why would I want to re-invent the wheel?

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:41

From Perkasie PA
@MCSneek- That's the problem with blogs. There are many people who think it would be a great idea to start one, get some free stuff, etc, but then they just collect dust after a month or two after the person stops posting. If it's just something that you're keeping as more of a personal journal and you dont care if anyone reads it and are ok with updating it 2x a year, that's fine.

But if you want a reader base, you need to keep up with the content and coming up with new stuff to post about a few times a week can be challenging. They can actually be a lot of work. I do enjoy it though and it's interesting to see what posts generate a lot of traffic and which ones fizzle out. Also, keyword searches that lead people to your blog are hysterical. I got more search engine traffic this month from "Emily Blunt" and "PA Dutch Eggnog" than anything else, just because I mentioned both of them in a post once and apparently both are popular right now.

It takes a really long time to get a solid reader base. I was just chatting with Cameron over at TFM recently about my site turning two years old and when we talked about traffic, he said that his site didnt even start to garner any attention until after his first two years of posting.

The thing I enjoy the most is looking back a few years ago and seeing the types of stuff I was tying then, the fish I was catching, and basically where I was in life, etc etc.

actually, this topic would make a good blog post....

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:42

From Ephrata, PA
I hear you. I ran several blogs over the years, mostly theological in nature. It got to the point where they were turning into online rantings, and I hate that, so I would shut them down.

A fly fishing blog, for me, makes sense. Mostly because I have a lot of friends who are interested in my fly fishing outings who DON'T read this site. Plus, I'm trying desperately to keep better track of my outings. Every year I think, "I'm gonna keep a journal", and I write a few pages, and then after the 5th trip or so, I let it die out.

You can get free stuff from blogging!?

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:47

From New to Berks
Nice Post, Squatch.

I live on the south side of said lake, and have heard tales of "the Upper Tully", but have yet to try exploring. You have some great pictures there - really nice fish.

Maybe one of these run-ins, we will get a chance to meet and eventually fish together.

Keep up the blog, your writing is spot on. I have added you to my roll and am officially a 'follower'.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:48

From Ephrata, PA
Dub, your blog, and TFM are far beyond any ambitions I have for my blog haha! You guys are helpful, full of tips, etc. I'm just tryin' to keep my thoughts straight!

Hack, lets do it. I can show you around a few Berks Co. streams!

Posted on: 2012/12/18 10:51

From Clearfield
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Moreover, with all that's offered with Paff......why would I want a personal FFing blog anyway?
There's a ready made audience here; I can post pics of flies, tutorials, and fishing reports and enjoy the feedback and camaraderie that comes with it. Why would I want to re-invent the wheel?

Because this is a fly fishing site, and sometimes you might want to mix other things in. I blog about craft beer, and or making beer almost every post. I just don't want to be restricted in what I post.

I will not, and have not, signed up for free stuff or money. Two reasons. First I would then feel obligated to post every week or so (my hobbies are just not that interesting). Second, I do it for self gratification, and to share with friends, not for the money, or free stuff. Now with that being said, if some company asked me to blog about their stuff, I would give it a fair evaluation. I am not independently wealthy, and like most people like new stuff.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 11:08

From Ephrata, PA
Heck,
The biggest problem w/ the Upper T is access. So much of it is posted (which, I think helps the population because the number of fishermen is definitely restricted to land owners and those who are "in" w/ the land owners). However, Mike just posted this report about a month ago concerning the stream in Myerstown. May be worth checking out.
Thread Here

Posted on: 2012/12/18 11:11

From Clearfield
Plus if you do it here, some claim them hero posts, and although I could care less, I decided some time ago to create the least amount of waves here that I can.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 11:12

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com