Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Entemology books

From Pittsburgh
Can anyone suggest a good detailed book on entemology with
detailed pictures of multiple life stages?

Posted on: 2011/3/13 20:05

Re: Entemology books

1. Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia would be a good one to use to study mayflies. I find it to be very useful.
2. Thomas Ames's Caddisflies is really detailed for caddisses. This is actually above and beyond what you need -- at least what I need.
3. Though the little Pocket Guide to PA's Hatches isn't full of detailed photos of various stages of each fly's life, it is a useful guide, IMO.

Posted on: 2011/3/13 20:31

From SEPA
Quote:

rrt wrote:
1. Mayflies by Ted Fauceglia would be a good one to use to study mayflies. I find it to be very useful.

There have been other threads, do you find it as good as they have?

Posted on: 2011/3/13 23:51

Yes. I think it's top notch for mayflies.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:11

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, not a book, and you might be already well aware of it.

But troutnut.com is an excellent resource for what you're looking for. Breaks it down by taxonomy, lots of pictures, lists the various common names (and ranks them) for each species, etc.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:35

From SCPA
Very detailed book that I used while at PSU was Aquatic Entomology by McCafferty

Posted on: 2011/3/15 12:36

Since they have not been mentioned I would add Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine. Very detailed. However; you might wish to read it when your having trouble sleeping because it is alittle difficult to read.

And Hatches II by Caucci and Nastasi.

Might want to check your library instead of buying- you can always check them out for a 2 weeks a year. I could see reading them more than that in any single year.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 14:42

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

rrt wrote:

There have been other threads, do you find it as good as they have?

Ya, it's really kick ass a book that I feel spans from beginner to pretty advanced. The photos are amazing particularly the emerger and cripple photos. The only flaw I see in it is some of the fly recipes don't jive with the photo. I found a few instances where fibbets are recommended yet the photo is showing an antron tailing material.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 21:53

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Ya, it's really kick ass a book that I feel spans from beginner to pretty advanced. The photos are amazing particularly the emerger and cripple photos. The only flaw I see in it is some of the fly recipes don't jive with the photo. I found a few instances where fibbets are recommended yet the photo is showing an antron tailing material.

I'm hard pressed to get excited abotu a book of fly recipes, or anything that's not gonna wow me. This book comes up as being a particuarly good book because of its quality of photography, including things like you said, the misfit flies.

I'm going to be forced to purchase this, because it sounds like its got the right sort of appeal.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 10:45

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:

I'm hard pressed to get excited abotu a book of fly recipes, or anything that's not gonna wow me. This book comes up as being a particuarly good book because of its quality of photography, including things like you said, the misfit flies.

I'm going to be forced to purchase this, because it sounds like its got the right sort of appeal.

A lot of folks are very excited about this book. I only had a few minutes to flip through it last night at TCO.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_HenrysBook.cfm

Posted on: 2011/3/23 16:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com