Dry Fly Entomology by Frederic M. Halford

skybay

skybay

Dry Fly Entomology by Frederic M. Halford
London
Vinton & Co

or

“work entailed in compiling such a treatise”

Following the Christmas mood I tip myself and purchased the landmark and extraordinary copy of this volume. The copy's - hardcover cloth is poorly re-dye or water stain and looks like went few times by Itchen or Test streams but book's interior is completely unaffected and inside the volume is in a great condition.
I have no problem with this…

The F. Halford, angler and author, often recognized as "The father of modern dry fly fishing" devoted most of his entire life searching, writing, and fly-fishing the dry fly.
He wrote seven books about the subject, this includes Dry Fly Fishing in Theory and Practice, Modern Development of the Dry Fly, and his Tour de Force, Dry Fly Entomology.

Print and engravings of the book surprise me; they are absolutely superb and exceed most of the modern fly-fishing publishers work.
You can see this on some plates I photographed.
Happy to say I acquire this rare collectible volume with no breaking my yearly fly-fishing budget and did not pay hefty $$$ which sometimes goes for few K-s. The plates drawings of 3x Mayflies or Stoneflies are really meticulous and rare. Reading to my surprise is easy, not immensely scholarly or heavy.

Go dry fly, -

Attachments

• 1Halford.jpg
    1Halford.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2Halford.jpg
    2Halford.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3Halford.jpg
    3Halford.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 3
  • 4Halford.jpg
    4Halford.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 5Halford.jpg
    5Halford.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 6Halford.jpg
    6Halford.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 7Halford.jpg
    7Halford.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 8Halford.jpg
    8Halford.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
Very, very cool skybay!

That's gotta be some very neat reading for sure!
Nice going Jared

That is a beautiful book! You are lucky to have found it. I agree that Halford's writing is somehow more accesible than you would expect. A lot of people like to point to the innovations made by the American tyers that modified Halford's patterns, but I have always been more struck by the similarities.
Mike.

Beautiful book. Great find. Congratulations!

Back